I hate Outlook (mail) preview, why is it so slow?

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I hate outlook (mail) preview

Unfortunately after going into outlook.com on my windows phone browser and logging into my account my outlook.com email was converted without my permission automatically to outlook mail (preview). I'm really unhappy about this because its wrong to convert someone to any kind of preview account without their permission. I don't really like the interface. Its not as intuitive as the previous version. Finally because its a "preview" version its buggy. Its particularly slow to load.

So Microsoft are forcing people onto preview versions of outlook without their permission and reducing onedrive storage. I don't know what Microsoft are thinking.

I'm not the only one this has happened to just do a google search are there are many others with the issue.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: I hate outlook (mail) preview

Microsoft has the right to change terms and services without anyone's permission. You had agreed to use the service, microsoft is not forcing you to use it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
But why is it the 'preview' if people are required to use it? Surely it's now the current release interface? This is not about MS's 'rights', this is about MS getting confused as to which is current and which is still not ready for release yet. A problem endemic in the W10 ecosystem it seems.

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft has the right to change terms and services without anyone's permission. You had agreed to use the service, microsoft is not forcing you to use it.

Its a bit hard to change an email address that you've had for a long time. I may not have necessarily liked the new interface but I wouldn't have written this post if it was a final version. Instead its a non final "preview" version that I've been automatically converted to. If I wanted to sign up to the windows 10 insiders program to get builds ahead of time I have to go through a sign up process but am automatically put on a "preview" non final version of outlook without a sign up process? How does that make sense?

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
But why is it the 'preview' if people are required to use it? Surely it's now the current release interface? This is not about MS's 'rights', this is about MS getting confused as to which is current and which is still not ready for release yet. A problem endemic in the W10 ecosystem it seems.

I really dislike the fact that I have been forced onto a "preview" non final version of outlook without a sign up process. The fact that it says "preview" makes me really uneasy. I very much disagree with a "preview" non final version of outlook being distributed to the unsuspecting masses and I know based on a quick google search that I'm no the only one. I'm surprised that I couldn't find any tech articles discussing this. Its one thing to announce uncoming changes to outlook but is quite another to force those upcoming changes to unsuspecting users in a "preview" non final version.

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Its seems that my email is completely stuffed now. I have set it up to I use aliases for different things. It seems that when I send an email to someone who also has outlook (mail) preview they can click on my name and it comes up with a box to email that has my main email address (which can't be changed). What's the point of aliases? If I wanted people to have my main email address I would give it to them. I really don't like this outlook mail preview.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Search the registry for your alias. You'll find the spot. If you look you can change the used address. You could make a simple script switch to change the entry if you want. I know, MS should have done this already.

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

Search the registry for your alias. You'll find the spot. If you look you can change the used address. You could make a simple script switch to change the entry if you want. I know, MS should have done this already.

Thanks for the reply. I probably should've made myself clearer I use outlook (mail) preview in the browser not through an email client so a registry change isn't an option. I'm not quite sure if I could do it anyway.

Its either a bug or they intended this way. I don't quite know. But this update seems to have created a profile for you with your main email address permanently attached to your name. So when you send an email it will have your name and if a person is in the outlook mail preview system and they click on your name they can see your main email address regardless of whether your sent the email with your main email address or an outlook alias. So you send the email with alias for example b@outlook.com. They know the email is from b@outlook.com but they click on your name and they have access to the profile attached to your name and that profile has your main email for example a@outlook.com. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove a@outlook.com from your profile attached to your name to stop it from going out in emails.

The point of email aliases is you can use them for different things. So why would I want someone to access my main email when I've used my alias. Its hard to explain and I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job of it. Its confusing.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, I see. I've not sent anything via the webmail for a while. Two ideas, firstly are you sure the recipient does not have your main email address attached to you in their contacts list or in any emails sitting in their mail folders (including sent)? It could be joining the dots locally. Secondly, you can log in to your webmail with your aliases I believe. What happens then? Same issue?

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

I had another look at it today and it didn't seem to be doing it. Some email forwarding and some confusion with the new interface (which I'm not a fan of) may be the reason why it appeared to be happening. The thing is I'm not quite sure which doesn't instil a lot of confidence in using the service for sending email. I'm just going to keep an eye on it.

I'm not a fan of the mobile interface though the browser on my windows phone though. Not very touch friendly or user friendly. Harder to sign out. Have to press the button multiple times to just for the screen to come up to compose an email.

I wish there was a way I could go back to what it was. Unfortunately its hard to give up an email address if you've had it a long time.

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I hate Outlook (mail) preview

I absolutely hate outlook (mail) preview through outlook.com.

Been using it for a few weeks now and its horrible.

When I sign in on my windows phone browser it is slow, freezes a lot, closes down for now reason and it won't allow me to click on any links in an email which is ridiculous.

When I sign on a pc, its slow. There is no button to refresh your email as their previously was so emails take longer to get through. When you click on the email to check it, it gives you a list of options that basically hides the content of your email and doesn't easily go away. Also options that were assessable by one mouse click now require multiple clicks to do the same task. It also assumes content that has a time must be a meeting when its not and highlights it in pink and wants you to click on and use some kind of addon. That function has no use for me and I have no idea how to disable it cause pink text isn't as readable.

I just had an older relative with basic computer knowledge who's been using outlook.com for years and had his email the other day "automatically" updated to outlook mail preview and was very frustrated by it. This person finds it unusable.

I don't know who's idea it was at Microsoft to automatically put novices on a buggy outlook (mail) preview.

Its absolutely horrible, unusable.

Surely I'm not the only one on windows central that's been upgraded to outlook (mail) preview automatically and having multiple issues with it. This is ridiculous.

SLVnzl SLVnzl1

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
why am i being forced to use outlook mail (preview) when i was very happy to just normally use the Hotmail / normal outlook formats. cant find any important emails anymore. the worse bit is when i contact customer service they are clueless. why even have staff when you just force your failed product on us. Atleast give a reverse back to original format instead of just forcing me to go with this trash email set-up, Dont say you cant, because i still have emails that are working on the original format i am using but you seem to pick out my main accounts i have organized with flagged messages etc which is near impossible to find. change it back or give us an option

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I too wish there was a button and I could go back to how it used to be.

I signed into my email this morning on the internet explorer browser on my windows phone and my email just froze. Touch simply didn't want to work. I had to close the screen and resign in and then it kind of worked. I still find it frustrating that when I'm on outlook preview on my phone I can't click on any links. It just won't allow you.

I still can't understand how Microsoft can force regular everyday users onto a buggy unfinished outlook (mail) preview. I'm not an insider. I didn't opt into this. I had no choice.

clarkbranson

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Here's some feedback that I just left for the Outlook Team:

This is absolutely the WORST mail service I have used. Our corp email account was forced onto the Outlook Mail (Preview) on 10/29 at approx 3:30am PST. This is when everything on my iphone was lost...my mail, my calendars and my contacts. Since this update I'm unable to sign in using my corp "primary email" address on my mobile devices....let me say that again...I can not sign in using my primary email address on my mobile devices...but I CAN SIGN in using an email alias. Took me a week to figure that out on my own and your technical support STILL can't resolve the issue over a month later. Let's see what else doesn't work OH the little "?" icon didn't work for two weeks...AND previewing PDF's STILLLLL DOESN'T WORK, plus attaching a document is horribly confusing and not intuitive at all. Way to go on improving our business' productivity and efficiency. You should have saved the time and closed out the email account and had a landing page with Clippy from Office...at least HE WAS HELPFUL SOME OF THE TIME!!!!!!!!

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I was using outlook (mail) preview in my windows phone browser (internet explorer) and wanted to forward an email. I pressed the button to forward the email on multiple occasions and nothing happened. So now I can't click on links in an email nor can I send emails on this terrible outlook (mail) preview on my windows phone. The touch interface is so bad and gets confused that the email I wanted to forward got accidently reported as a phishing scam and ended up in my junk email.

I can't understand why Microsoft would replace a good email system with a preview to a normal user full of bugs that makes it almost unuseable.

I read repeated articles of the ongoing problems with onedrive such as lack of placeholders in the tech press but surprisingly there are multiple people in different forums having issues with outlook (mail) preview and the tech press is silent. Maybe they aren't on outlook (mail) preview yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon