When will Google & Microsoft make peace?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Microsoft News & Rumors forum, since this topic is not a time-sensitive issue with a device.

I don't think any of us know that answer. We are not privy to any behind the scenes talks that might be occurring between Microsoft and Google.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Either Google starts caring about their consumer anywhere (their Moto) or Microsoft gains a lot of people and Google will want a peace of that cake. After all, Microsoft apps on Android are there because of the money.

Not sayng that everything is entirely about money, but you cant work for free though.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is trying all it can to make peace. It's just that Google doesn't want to give up one clear advantage that it currently has over Microsoft, 'No Google Apps for WP'.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
When Eric Schmidt no longer has any involvement with Google. This is a blood feud and goes back to Microsoft\Novell days.....

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
It's hard to say that the growth of windows 10 in mobile will result in google apps on W10M because if W10M grows without any google influence then that means W10M is growing successfully and people who are pushing this growth are all using Microsoft's apps. If that's the case then will anybody even want googles apps when so many are living perfectly with the integrated Microsoft apps that are already there with windows phone?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I use a Android phone (Moto G), and a Windows phone (640), I have almost the same apps on both phones. 90% Microsoft. Don't use anything Google except maps. Not even chrome.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm content with the excellent 3rd party YouTube apps. What else does Google offer that WP/M does not?

I honestly have no idea what the google apps offer that windows 3rd party apps+Microsoft apps don't offer.

I guess the want for google apps is so that people on android or ios using google apps won't have to switch to new apps. But the thing is, google apps are not coming unless W10M grows ALOT and if Windows phone grows alot without google apps, then everybody will be using the Microsoft apps that they've been using forever back when google apps weren't available and google apps will just not even be needed anymore.

So essentially google apps only matter if they come while W10M is an infant, because if W10M grows up without google apps into an adult then it will no longer need the google apps as it will be perfectly fine with the MS apps it has grown with since the beginning.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I honestly have no idea what the google apps offer that windows 3rd party apps+Microsoft apps don't offer.

I guess the want for google apps is so that people on android or ios using google apps won't have to switch to new apps. But the thing is, google apps are not coming unless W10M grows ALOT and if Windows phone grows alot without google apps, then everybody will be using the Microsoft apps that they've been using forever back when google apps weren't available and google apps will just not even be needed anymore.

So essentially google apps only matter if they come while W10M is an infant, because if W10M grows up without google apps into an adult then it will no longer need the google apps as it will be perfectly fine with the MS apps it has grown with since the beginning.

It is well known issue that MS apps are not offering the same experience to most people outside US.

Then if we talk about Gmail, Drive, Docs, Keep, Calendar, Google Camera & Photos
These alternatives to Microsoft apps are just less formal and more fun to use.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't use Google apps except Metrotube and Gmail on my device, but if they became available in proper design language I'd probably switch.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Never. Google & MS are strategic enemies. Hurts MS because Windows Mobile needs Google Apps for the app gap to become less of a problem and Google platform doesn't really have any "MS holes".

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It is well known issue that MS apps are not offering the same experience to most people outside US.

Then if we talk about Gmail, Drive, Docs, Keep, Calendar, Google Camera & Photos
These alternatives to Microsoft apps are just less formal and more fun to use.

Nope, still fail to see how Outlook.com, OneDrive and Lumia Camera are NOT offering the same experience to most people outside the US. When it comes to Docs and Keep then Microsoft has the vastly superior Word and OneNote, again how is that NOT offering the same experience to most people outside the US.

Better comparisons would have been Google Maps and Bing Maps or even Google Now and Cortana.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes