News: Microsoft's future in mobile?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
One device on the arm, in combination with
glasses, the future ?

Yeah, I could see a HoloLens, smartwatch combination working hella well, IF the glases were smaller, flashionable, cheaper, and the watch had full calling, reasonable battery and full voice control.

Might be awhile off, but eventually we can hopefully use big arse virtual screens and voice rather than dinky glass pocket slabs

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Because you don't use them, nobody does?. There's a browser on phones too. Web pages are slow next to apps, not as refined in UI. Its also a cluttered way to experience something, nested in a browser. Something clean and simple about loading up Instagram or facebook, in the app, and scrolling through. An almost magazine like experience.

Suggest you check out my poll on this topic, people do use UWP on desktop, laptop and tablets. It seems to be pretty much most people do, to some degree, but some don't at all, like yourself.

You probably don't just because you haven't really tried it, as an experience. People are like that with habits. I suggest you give some high quality apps from the windows store a whirl. See what you think of the experience :) Give a good test drive first like...

That's not what I said at all. I said there is no reason to DEVELOP an app if you can get Windows users as customers through a browser. The fact that anybody can use these services without opening an app shows that there is no need for developers to make one.

Last edited:

AlvaroNos

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Cshell will revive W10M in my opinion... Continuum as well as the system itself will be revamped. Also the mobile os from microsoft has to be 64 bits imo because it improves general performance.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Good ,Microsoft had launched his Smartphones in market but if Microsoft gives to customer best features rather then also launched mid budget smartphones then Microsoft have future in Mobile.
I don't think so. Other than my preference for WP UI and security, the fact that WP was light years ahead of Andorid and Apple in key features drove my choice. Even in 2013 when I first noticed WP, it could announce, read and offer to let you dictate a response to texts over ANY car's blue-tooth. All completely via voice; no need to even touch a button on the console or steering wheel. And it wasn't long before you could "call" Cortana to initiate any voice controlled feature/app on your phone hand free. All while Android and Apple users were waiting for Android Auto or Car Play and killing people by operating their phones while driving.

The problem was marketing (nobody knew the important features) and a lack of apps, not an absence of unique features.

People definitely didn't know. I won cash bets with 3 new car salespeople and non-cash bets with virtually every salesperson who would risk taking any position that I could do those things with my lowly Lumia 521 in their brand of cars.

vitaliesolomon

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
microsoft continuum for now is in its primitve development. no much support from apps to switch from mobile to desktop and vice versa. for me this is the future. it is not accidentally that samsung added continuum suport to its new flagship phone (galaxy s8|s8+)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That's not what I said at all. I said there is no reason to DEVELOP an app if you can get Windows users as customers through a browser. The fact that anybody can use these services without opening an app shows that there is no need for developers to make one.

In that case, there should be no apps at all. Every platform with apps, has a browser ;)

Apps provide more abilities, quicker loading, cleaner interface and a dedicated full screen experience versus the browser. For example, a banking app can provide balance at a glance. A chat app can provide running notifications.

Apps can access Bluetooth, or peripherals. Apps run locally, not over the slow, and disconnected web. Web apps don't have such abilities.

Part of the problem is only 30 percent or so of windows users really look in the store for apps, or have come around to the idea of using apps on a desktop. Developers have much the same old fashioned mentality (often, not always) - "apps are for mobile devices. There is no use for them on desktop".

They don't seem to realize that MSFT is 100 percent bullish on UWP. They will get all current developers over to more modern UWP one way or the other. Even if they have to literally kill win32. its a street with no question mark over it.

Already windows s, is causing an fast growing influx of centennials.

Windows on arm this year - win32 will run 70% native speed _at best_. They also support always connected LTE.
That will cause an influx of UWP both via PC, and iOS.

There are a LOT of notebook windows users. Cshell later will enable smaller form factors for win10 - and that too will require scaling, encouraging UWP.

Almost every move MSFT is making ATM, seems to directly benefit UWP adoption. I wouldn't be surprised if the new console has greater PC API compatibility.

The mistake here is perhaps more a lack of foresight - thinking msft will simply roll over on UWP, and go back to UWP, is like thinking msft would stick to ms-dos. Making a UWP app now, or at least converting to centennial will get you increased exposure as the upcoming changes roll in - making you "first to market", which is commercially advantageous. Its forward thinking.

Which is why, I imagine, new developers are adopting the store right now. They have their eye on the ball, rather than merely being reactive.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
The premium phone strategy is not too smart. Google has been trying that for years and they are still not able to give the iPhone a run for its money. Apps wouldn't come without marketshare and marketshare will never come without phones like Lumia 640. MS and Nadella dropped the ball on this one, what old Nokia was trying was the right way to go about it, slowly but steadily they would have climbed up. Guess shareholders didn't have enough patience!

Google is a low range by itself.

Therefore, You no one would buy expensive VW bag. While there is a whole closings line by Porsche (including bags).

Marketing positioning. Something Google has to learn. BTW, MS has same problems. Only Surface line goes good in that terms... so far.

Today the company that I'm working for is ditching your windows phone devices (about 45,000 in the world) for Iphones.
#SadDay

I would ditch that company. Can't You name it, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Google is a low range by itself.

Therefore, You no one would buy expensive VW bag. While there is a whole closings line by Porsche (including bags).

Marketing positioning. Something Google has to learn. BTW, MS has same problems. Only Surface line goes good in that terms... so far.

I would ditch that company. Can't You name it, please?

I just purchased Lumia 1020 installed Win 10!
ROCKS! No need overpriced IPhone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon