What hardware to expect at Microsoft's event in London this October?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The Surface Book 2 is already out...
What are your thoughts or predictions at this point? (Windows on ARM devices?)

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Yes. I suspect a few Arm devices including a possible Mobile (Phone) type device. If and when that is released I'm starting one of those pools on when the first "windows phone is dead" threads pop up on WC.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Last month it was stated Panos Panay would be there, so hardware of some kind from Microsoft was expected...but it could be something announced and demo'd to be later released instead of an actual sales pitch. I honestly don't know.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know, my guess though is that future decoded, which is targeted at enterprise and focusses on keynotes, is more about how current tech can enhance your business. Panos might just announce how surface is a valuable edition to anyone's business instead of introducing a new surface device. I wouldn't expect a big announcement, unless they really surprise us.

On a side note, thurrott already did a short analysis of what could be announced, if anything:
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic...rosoft-just-ruin-october-surface-announcement

eboyhan

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Somewhere, I saw on a partner website where they laid out their sponsorship of the event along with a schedule. It appears it will be a 2-day event (10/31, 11,1). Sessions seem to focus on things like Dynamics 365, etc.

As to H/W, most think it will be the announcement of dates and prices of the Surface/LTE -- the configurations of this device were explicitly described at IGnite in Orlando. I could also see them talking about W10 on ARM devices. THey've already done Surface Book 2. What else? They could update the Surface Studio. One thing I don't think we'll see (given recent MS pronouncements) is a phone.

eboyhan

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Somewhere, I saw on a partner website where they laid out their sponsorship of the event along with a schedule. It appears it will be a 2-day event (10/31, 11,1). Sessions seem to focus on things like Dynamics 365, etc.

As to H/W, most think it will be the announcement of dates and prices of the Surface/LTE -- the configurations of this device were explicitly described at IGnite in Orlando. I could also see them talking about W10 on ARM devices. THey've already done Surface Book 2. What else? They could update the Surface Studio. One thing I don't think we'll see (given recent MS pronouncements) is a phone.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Call me nuts, but I have a feeling Microsoft and Partners are going to let loose with a 3 in 1 type device. This amount of quiet talk of Windows Core + Cshell....

It may not be a release in time for Holidays, but I think the Lid is about to pop. Look at the amount of lead time they had with the Mixed Reality Headsets.

Windows 10 on Arm, plus London is still a Part of the EU, so if Microsoft lift the lid on it in the EU, I don't think Intel would risk the Law Suit they said would happen if Microsoft/Qualcom go forward with X86 Emulation.
The EU not to long ago smacked the crap out of Google, as EU courts don't like 1 company being all powerful !!

Intel has had more than enough time to offer up Mobile Chips, but they failed....it's time to break open the playing field!!!

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I can't tell you what hardware might be unveiled at the show, but I can tell you what hardware won't be: phones. There still seem to be people here holding onto hope for a Surface phone. Even though Belfiore admitted that the mobile ecosystem was dead. And despite the fact that Microsoft is selling Android phones in its store.

Anybody still hoping for a Surface Phone needs to get themselves a Note 8. The Note 8 is the Surface Phone we should have received two years ago. 6+ inch screen, a stylus, real life apps, DeX is far better than Continuum, and it's all on a mobile OS that's being actively developed and supported. This phone makes me hate myself for staying loyal to WP for so long. I should have defected when the Note 5 dropped.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell you what hardware might be unveiled at the show, but I can tell you what hardware won't be: phones. There still seem to be people here holding onto hope for a Surface phone. Even though Belfiore admitted that the mobile ecosystem was dead. And despite the fact that Microsoft is selling Android phones in its store.

Anybody still hoping for a Surface Phone needs to get themselves a Note 8. The Note 8 is the Surface Phone we should have received two years ago. 6+ inch screen, a stylus, real life apps, DeX is far better than Continuum, and it's all on a mobile OS that's being actively developed and supported. This phone makes me hate myself for staying loyal to WP for so long. I should have defected when the Note 5 dropped.

I agree "Phones" are dead, so a Surface Phone like the HP X3 or 950 now is only a dream or concept.
I do think they will add Phone like ability to a new class of device.

Did anyone notice x86 for a short time had a "Phone app" ? Maybe the plan was to tie it into Skype and other services, however I think it was moved to the Core OS.
The only reason I bring this up is I have redone 2 Tablets, and I noticed it was there....and then gone after update.
Now that LTE is coming to Surface Tablet line I think you will soon have more options as to where you make/take phone calls from.
I have noticed more and more newer devices now have not just a 3.5 mm ear phone port, but it's a combo Ear/Mic port.
No matter what I'm some what excited again about what could be.

hilga007

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps the HP Elite X3 for Verizon will be announced and that it will also fully support Windows on ARM.

Then again, it’s London so a CDMA phone release seems just silly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes