Samsung launching foldable device early 2019

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Tell that to IBM and their Simon Personal Communicator (the first all touch screen smartphone).

Personally though, I trust the android rumour mill even less than the windows rumour mill. Until it's officially announced, the fat lady hasn't sung.

Besides, I actually see a lot smaller a market for android foldables right now. Whilst their is still a seam, it's a multi-tasking and dual screening device. No one really wants to do that with android. It's a bit like samsungs continuum like function - there's even less call for that than continuum itself. Unless Samsung also later release a windows core version based on andromeda, I don't see much of a market for it.

There are already dual screen android devices after all. They are just kind of pointless.

What it really hinges on (lol), is the software. If there are enough apps on launch that make use of the dual screen format, and enough OS refinement of the UI for dual screen, it'll be viable. If not, it'll be a failure.

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, this is sooner than I expected. I guessing that they are giving the software time to be refined and the app gap to become less of an issue, but I think they might be late to the party by that date. But we'll see...

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Besides, I actually see a lot smaller a market for android foldables right now. Whilst their is still a seam, it's a multi-tasking and dual screening device.

The Samsung is actually using a folding screen. No seam. Andromeda is dead. Microsoft won't bother launching it next to a real folding screen.

WindowsMEXP

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure this will put Samsung ahead of everyone. At least from the stories I have read on this foldable device, it's basically a take on the classic flip phone. So when fully extended its going to functionally look like a standard slab smartphone. Closed you'll have a small screen to view notifications and such just like on a flip phone. I just don't see how this is exciting for the consumer outside of enthusiasts. Now of course, the reports on this new phone are all based on rumor and patents and Samsung could definitely pull something fantastic off, but right now aside from it being the first for a folding screen, I just don't see this first Samsung design setting the world a fire. Maybe after several iterations down the road, it will be real good and appealing to the average consumer, but not this first design. I think Microsoft, Apple, and other phone manufacturers will have time to put out their spin on folding screen, but not forever though.

infosage

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Great point. It's not aa much when they hit the market, but how aggressively and committed they Ade when they do. Look at how Cortana was allowed to atrophy when they had advantages at one point. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have passion for being first, committed, or aggressive. On the positive side, IE was dying and Edge was horrible (at best) when launched, but they have stayed committed and haven't quit yet. Surface wasn't a real success until v3, but they didn't quit. Who knows with Nadella? It seems to be crap shoot on what he cuts l, and what he keeps going. That ambiguity kills developer interest though...

Vishvjeet Arya

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is going to release its device even before Microsoft will able to decide whether to release the device or not. And if Microsoft releases it after Samsung then the device is destined to fail. Because in recent years, whenever Microsoft came in second or third in releasing a device or service, it failed miserably even if the product was superior. It is the sad reality that Microsoft has faced in recent years. Like Zune after iPod, Band after other fitness bands, Groove Music after a lot of other services, Windows phone after Android and iPhone and a lot of others including the initial Surface RT devices which competed with iPads.
Though, with the resources that Microsoft has, it can easily position Andromeda at the perfect device for corporates and eventually consumers (because those working in corporates are humans, not robots) if it Integrates Office, Skype, and Teams into it like they are part of the device and offers special discounts or offers to people using those three products in "Andromeda". But that's a big if. And I know Microsoft is never going to do that.
So this is already written in stone that the device is going to fail and Microsoft needs some kind of miracle to win this race which unfortunately does not seems to happen.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Sigh.... :(
Oh Microsoft, when will you learn that sometimes it's good to be first :(
tbh, I want Andromeda so I can dock it on my gamepad for XPA, for OneDrive on Demand, for light Photoshop, for Surface Pen, for light programming, for browser extensions, etc.
But I don't understand the need of a Dual Screen device.
Sure, we've been using 2 or 3 screens in the office but all applications we have in the market, are all 1 screen application.
Closest example would be game designed for 3ds vs no effort bottom screen support.

I just want WoA + Snapdragon 1k + e-sim. 2 screens is ok (not a must, just wouldn't mind). 1 screen Andromeda is enough.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Samsung is going to release its device even before Microsoft will able to decide whether to release the device or not. And if Microsoft releases it after Samsung then the device is destined to fail. Because in recent years, whenever Microsoft came in second or third in releasing a device or service, it failed miserably even if the product was superior. It is the sad reality that Microsoft has faced in recent years. Like Zune after iPod, Band after other fitness bands, Groove Music after a lot of other services, Windows phone after Android and iPhone and a lot of others including the initial Surface RT devices which competed with iPads.
Though, with the resources that Microsoft has, it can easily position Andromeda at the perfect device for corporates and eventually consumers (because those working in corporates are humans, not robots) if it Integrates Office, Skype, and Teams into it like they are part of the device and offers special discounts or offers to people using those three products in "Andromeda". But that's a big if. And I know Microsoft is never going to do that.
So this is already written in stone that the device is going to fail and Microsoft needs some kind of miracle to win this race which unfortunately does not seems to happen.
but you cannot use Android for
1. dock it on a gamepad for XPA
2. OneDrive on Demand
3. light Photoshop
4. Surface Pen for quick note or draft
5. light programming
6 browser extensions (I don't use others, I write my own injections)

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft is doing the right thing to be patient. PWA apps are still not there yet, they still have to get popular apps like WhatsApp to work on this device, and Windows Core is still not finished. When WC is done then we can talk about Andromeda. Who knows, maybe the Windows that is released for it will be just better and with more Desktopy capabilities like what I expected with Continuum.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Folding Android phones have been done before. I think what is critical to this is Microsoft's insistence that it is NOT a phone. If folding is the only thing new that any platform offers it will just be a gimmick.

I think what will define the success or failure of Andromeda is the OS and software, and I don't think warmed over Android in a new bendy skin will compete.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You realize Samsung will NOT be the first to market with a foldable screen, THAT distinction belongs to ZTE

Now that being said, the ZTE was a foldable phone, BUT it actually had 2 screen connected by hinges. I think what Samsung has it mind is MUCH more elaborate and may have an actual foldable screen, using a flexible display.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler