Is Microsoft the Borg?

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
After the latest news that MS is considering abandoning the Edge browser engine for Chromium, it strikes me that this is just the latest part of a larger pattern. If we consider that MS' main priority is the cloud, then any particular software, device or OS becomes secondary. This has resulted in a strategy where MS will play with anyone, once they provide an on ramp to the cloud, their cloud.

Open source? Once a cancer, it's now a valued partner with MS all in and buying Git Hub becoming one of the biggest players.

Social media? MS missed the boat but on realising how important it is MS buys LinkedIn becoming a dominant player in the segment that matters most to them.

Phones? MS tries to own it by having its own OS and failed, so they suddenly start supporting IPhones and Android. Now they are one of the biggest players in phone software. They may not own the playing field but they sure as heck are one of the biggest gorillas on it. MS Launcher and Office are in this segment bigly. On ramps to MS' cloud.

Gaming? Xbox is getting it's butt handed to it by Sony PlayStation at the moment but it looks like that might be temporary as MS is gobbling up studios left an right and once again leveraging the cloud.

Browsers? Internet Explorer... then Edge now this new browser (allegedly) Whatever else it does it will move your data from the Google cloud to Azure.

My point is that while MS' image has changed and now they "play well" with everyone, they are starting to look a little bit like the Borg in Star Trek, prepare to be assimilated because resistance is futile.

When they finally get around to getting back into mobile? I'll bet that Andromeda runs android apps. (Not android just the apps) and that the data goes back to Azure rather than Google. We all know that most people probably regularly use about 10 apps at most. I'll bet that for most people at least 3 of them are from Redmond.... Like I said... resistance is futile.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
What happens when Satya steps down? if someone else that is more focused on hardware takes over, a part of this cycle will have to be rebooted. The best thing is that MS gets back into mobile as soon as possible. The software is available so all we're lacking now is a phone.

Consoles - covered; PC/Laptop/Hybrid - covered; Mobile - error 404

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
quite frankly I think they should go forward on Andromeda, the idea of a computer that fits in your pocket but can still makes calls is a compelling use case. However I'm probably not the most unbiassed observer, I'm still rocking my 950xl.

I suspect that by the time Satya steps down, MS will rule the roost in cloud. Maybe they will get back into mobile once they have "assimilated" android :grin:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps.

I'll just leave this here:

Here is an extract from the current Ericsson Mobility Report - https://www.ericsson.com/assets/loc...18/ericsson-mobility-report-november-2018.pdf

The number of mobile subscriptions grew at
3 percent year-on-year and currently totals
7.9 billion. China had the most net additions
during the quarter (+37 million), followed
by India (+31 million) and Indonesia
(+13 million). The high subscription growth
in China continues from Q1 and Q2, and
is likely the result of intense competition
among communications service providers.
The number of mobile broadband
subscriptions
is growing at 15 percent
year-on-year, increasing by 240 million
in Q3 2018. The total is now 5.7 billion.