Duplicate OneNote Notebooks - one open, one closed

respect306

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I finally switched to T-Mobile from Sprint and got a Lumia 810. So far I love it, but I'm having a small problem with the OneNote app. It is finding a duplicate of one of my notebooks as you can see here:
wp_ss_20130103_0001.png
If I click on the closed one to try to open it, it just opens the "Work" notebook that is already open. I know I can hide the closed notebooks, and this isn't a huge issue, but it really bugs me. does anybody know how to fix it? I've checked my SkyDrive multiple times and I can't find any duplicates there.

Thanks!!

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain it is the exact same notebook? Like have you opened the closed version, made a random edit, then see if its reflected in the real one? I ended up with a duplicate personal notebook when I first established sky drive with one note (like 18 months ago). I recalled having trouble getting rid of it and now just keep it closed.

That one was automatically established in the \documents folder in my SkyDrive as a OneNote internet shortcut. Easy to miss because it's not in its own folder. My real notebook links are located in \OneNote on my skydrive.

Might not be your answer but something to check.

respect306

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey that was a great idea. I hadn't done it. However, yes they are the same. When I open the "closed" version, it shows me the exact same info as the other. And when I hit "back" on my phone, the "open" version animates as if I was just in it instead of the closed one. Not sure if that makes sense, but they are definitely the same one.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That is odd... If it really bothers you to have the ghost version then maybe save the notebook (assuming you have OneNote desktop) to your local PC, then delete it on SkyDrive and unlink from phone. Then when only version is on your hard drive, sync it to back to SkyDrive, then your phone.

respect306

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
It was a Shared notebook, but I removed it from SkyDrive, closed it on my PC and OneNote, and reset Office in the settings. However, it still shows two Work notebooks. It's not a huge deal but it's really annoying lol. Thanks for the suggestions

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry it's not fixed. Not really hurting anything but it would definitely annoy me too! My wife and I now use shared notebooks extensively once we both got windows phones and I'm still impressed at how well the sync works. I can even make links work across notebooks!

Carry on.

BobbyM63

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks !! Just set-up OneNote on my andriod smartphone and tablet. Was racking my brains trying to figure out how to get rid of the duplicates. One of the duplicate notebooks was set-up as my default notebook and it was not getting updated when changes were made within the OneNote PC application. It was not clear how to reset the detault notebook to another notebook so I was stuck. Based on your post, I found the duplicates under the \Documents folder in SkyDrive and deleted them. Then within the OneNote Android based app on my smartphone and tablet, selected Settings \ Reset Application to erase all the OneNote data and once I re-opened the OneNote app again the notebooks re-synced and the duplicates were gone ! Added a few items to the notebooks on my PC and validated the changes synced correctly to my tablet and smartphone.

Gary Mulhern

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I had this same problem. I deleted a notebook from my SkyDrive but it hung around on the notebooks list in my OneNote app. I solved this problem by going into the Office Hub and clicking on SkyDrive under "places". Then I clicked on my Documents folder (where my now-deleted OneNote notebook used to be) and refreshed the file list (under the ... menu). After going back to the OneNote app the orphaned notebook was now gone from my list.

For what its worth the orphaned notebook was in the "opened" state (not closed) when I did all this. It didn't actually sync anymore, because the file no longer existed on SkyDrive, but none-the-less the notebook was shown under the list of open notebooks. And actually tapping on the notebook would display the notebook but with sync errors. I'm Just mentioning this in case it fails for you since you said your notebook is in the closed state.

Although the SkyDrive "place" in the Office Hub looks just like the SkyDrive app it apparently caches file lists independently from the SkyDrive app. I had already tried, numerous times with no success, to refresh the file list of the Documents folder in the SkyDrive app. Neither this, nor a sync of the notebook list, will fix this problem. Only refreshing the file list from within the Office Hub places appears to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb