Duplicate Birthdays in Outlook Calendar ---- Grrrr sooo annoying!!

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Maybe one of you can help me with this, I actually noticed this first on my Windows Phone where I would see 2 or three duplicates of each of my contacts bday's in my calendar.
I attempted to delete it from the phone but it wouldn't let me.

I think this might have happened because I reset my phone a number of times and each time I would let the phone sign into Facebook.

Apparently Outlook saves my contacts bday's into the calendar w/o linking duplicates.

So I tried to log into Outlook.com to see if I can delete it there.

Pics for your reference.

As you can see below, I see duplicates with no option for linking it all
14102279495_7277e19271_z_d.jpg

Here's looking at the details of my friends bday with the active Facebook account
14102279605_14ae1cd01d_n_d.jpg

Here's the bday details that was saved when I linked my MS account to Facebook before but then deleted (apparently the bday's didn't get deleted)
14102701624_9d70c27a15_n_d.jpg

So I clicked on delete and it would show me this error!!!
14102279735_eb1c2069c0_z_d.jpg

I already tried going back and deleting in three different days but it still wouldn't delete.

Sigh, I just unchecked birthdays for now because seeing duplicates in my phone is annoying.

Any ideas how I can get around this?

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sir, but I already did that. I reset my phone a number of times and each time I would link my MS account to Facebook.

Each time I link the MS acct w/ Facebook it would save another duplicate in the calendar.

:(

consultant1027

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft, in all their wisdom, are not the best developers as you can see. The Outlook Birthday calendar will being in birthdays from multiple sources (Facebook, the birthday field of your contacts, etc.) and obviously the developers didn't think to implement any kind of duplication detection. Gee, how hard can it be to say if it's the same name and same date, it's a duplicate. The only way around this if you still want your Facebook linked is really to create a separate calendar and copy all the birthdays you want to see on your calendar to it then turn off the built-in birthday calendar. Yes, yes, you are adding Facebook friends but remember Facebook will send you and email when a friends birthday is happening and if it's not on your calendar and you want to be reminded you can just add it to your custom birthday calendar.

Richard Fila

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
There is a way around this rather half-baked interface from Microsoft. The answer is to delete the birthday calendar itself, then recreate it. When adding the new calendar you can select "Add birthday calendar" instead of just the regular old "Add calendar" - this auto-populates with the birthdays of all your outlook.com contacts. Make sure to add the email reminders at the bottom of the add page if you rely on them to remember birthdays like I do. To delete the old birthday calendar go to Options, click on the birthday calendar, and press delete at the top of the browser window.

Phew, no more irritating duplicates!

outlookcom-calendar-new-birthday-calendar.png

Plimbob

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issues with the base calendar which I use for my overall process. I read in MS Support that the base calendar cannot be deleted and recreated?

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues with the base calendar which I use for my overall process. I read in MS Support that the base calendar cannot be deleted and recreated?

They're talking specifically about the Birthday calendar. That calendar can be deleted a new one created that will generate based on the birthday data saved for each Outlook.com contact. Not entirely sure what you mean by "base calendar" but if you mean your main calendar and you are experiencing duplicates for all your appointments, that would be a separate issue that would be harder to address (based on how many calendars you're managing, which ones have appointments, how your devices see these calendars, etc.)

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Sort of related to this topic (because I used to have this issue and did what @Richard Fila is recommending here), but has anyone else encountered the annoyance with Skype also inserting its own birthday's? The fact that I have an Outlook.com contact linked with a Skype username and the birthdates are exactly the same does not seem to prevent two birthday "appointments" showing up for that day for that same contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon