Buy Surface 2 Now or Wait?

Brandon57

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am a student, so I can get 10% off at the Microsoft store (my friend who works at Best Buy says they will match the discount, but haven't confirmed that).

I am debating pre-ordering a Surface 2 or waiting until black Friday for if it has any specials.

I am also debating if I want the 32 GB or the 64 GB version.

Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally would wait for Black Friday deals, you never know what might come up. It is not too far off, it depends on how desperate you are for a new device.

32GB + an SD card should be fine IMO.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
How quickly/desperately do you need it? You say you're a student, so if you need it for school, I'd recommend getting it ASAP.

But if you don't need it soon, it might be worth waiting. I'm not sure what the expect from the MS Store, but other retailors could have some good bargains. Ultimately, it depends on how soon you want/need it, so just look within yourself. ;)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I am a student, so I can get 10% off at the Microsoft store (my friend who works at Best Buy says they will match the discount, but haven't confirmed that).

I am debating pre-ordering a Surface 2 or waiting until black Friday for if it has any specials.

I am also debating if I want the 32 GB or the 64 GB version.

Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.
I highly doubt that there will be any Black Friday deals on the Surface 2. But I'm confident that there may be some BF door-buster deals on the Surface RT. Obviously this is nothing more than a gut feel, so take that for what it's worth.

IF you can wait and IF you would be interested in a door-buster priced Surface RT, then I'd recommend waiting. If the money won't make-or-break you, then the Surface 2 seems to be a reasonable upgrade for the price over and above the current regular Surface RT price.

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's an easy question - the answer is now. If you wait, you will have lost 50 days of productivity with the tablet. How much is that worth? Also I agree with WillysJeepMan, the new tablets are unlikely to be discounted until next year - and only then if they are selling below expectations. MS controls the Surface selling prices, so they would have to allow a retailer to temporarily drop the price. I doubt that they'll do that. On the other hand, they will be ready to give away the Surface RT's (which will be running Windows 8.1 by then), so if you need a bargain that would be where to look.

Personally, I couldn't work with a 32 GB Windows tablet - there are some things that have to run on the system drive and you are starting out with very little space. But, if you can make judicious use of the SD storage and SkyDrive, I can see where some people might be perfectly happy there.

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I am in a similar position to you, I preordered with the student discount for a 64gb which pretty much came to $499 + tax.

A 10% discount at:
$550 = $55
$450 = $45

I just find with the discount its worth the value to get the 64GB model.

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
i'm still on the fence on getting it...i pre orderded it but i'm not sure if RT is wroth getting...i have a surface pro already....i really see myself only using the RT to well watch netflix, web browse and DL music....but i think if that all i going to do i would be better off with the OG surface rt

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
i'm still on the fence on getting it...i pre orderded it but i'm not sure if RT is wroth getting...i have a surface pro already....i really see myself only using the RT to well watch netflix, web browse and DL music....but i think if that all i going to do i would be better off with the OG surface rt
I think that you'd only be better off with an RT IF you can buy one of those manufacturer refurbished bundles. $199 for an RT w/touchcover is a no-brainer, but $349 without, I'd say spend the extra $100 for the Surface 2... even for that limited use case.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
32GB is enough you could just plug an external hard drive or put in a SD card.. Touch cover, get it for sure that's the best part lol it actually makes you feel like a boss lol ;) I just got the RT today haha

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are a student, do not get the Surface 2. The number one weakness of computers for academic use is you can't take non-text notes without pen input. Unless you have no plans to take anything besides non-artistic humanities, get a pen-enabled tablet.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering which cover is best too. I ordered a 32GB online and am going call this week to see if I can apply a college discount to it. For me, S2 should be fine. I don't need a digital pen.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are a student, do not get the Surface 2. The number one weakness of computers for academic use is you can't take non-text notes without pen input. Unless you have no plans to take anything besides non-artistic humanities, get a pen-enabled tablet.

I'm sure the better camera will assist in taking photos of whiteboards. And OneNote works with the touchscreen, so while not a pure digitizer, if you got one of those touch pens, you'd be able to diagram at a high level.

Oneofthesedays

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Get the Surface 2.

It'll have performance good enough to last you a few years. Plus the 2-stage kickstand is incredibly useful.

The RT is a bit too crippled performance wise IMHO.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I got my surface rt a few days ago haven't even TOUCHED my laptop yet.. It does everything I need just doesn't run x86 apps and tbh i didn't even miss them.. And from what I've experienced surface rt performence isn't even bad its quick and gets the job done, perfectly. Love the portability and everything about it. Surface is the future.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If (and that is a big if) Windows RT and Metro apps in general take off then we will start to see desktop apps get ported over. That is when the desktop is forgotten and shoved into a corner just as Command Prompt has been. I actually am okay with this happening, and I think Windows 8/RT are much more forward-thinking designs than they are given credit for being.

Personally I still use my laptop (also running Windows 8) more than my Surface, and there I spend all of my time on the desktop. But that's just because the things I use it for are only really possible in that environment (and Metro still needs time to mature it's multitasking abilities). But when I'm out and about, or even if I decide to move to another part of my house, my Surface is a more than adequate replacement, and it's much easier to bring along. I often sit on my couch with my Surface in my lap, for example. I also use it as my primary way of making Skype calls.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the Surface 1 will have BF deals but the Surface 2 will sell strong enough in numbers this time around that deals will be sparse....inventory is also going to be managed tighter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit