03-10-2014 08:57 PM
78 1234
tools
    Oh well, if it doesn't work on another Surface 2, odds are it wouldn't on yours either. I found a recovery image online today and installed it...still the drivers didn't update the first time...however I have not got the sleep of death problem I was getting before (restarting my Surface 2, and closing the cover would always cause sleep of death). Also my error logs appears to have less errors now too.
    02-09-2014 06:34 PM
    Oh well, if it doesn't work on another Surface 2, odds are it wouldn't on yours either. I found a recovery image online today and installed it...still the drivers didn't update the first time...however I have not got the sleep of death problem I was getting before (restarting my Surface 2, and closing the cover would always cause sleep of death). Also my error logs appears to have less errors now too.
    That's because resetting from USB fixes those errors even with your own Recovery Image, but like I said: not drivers problem...
    02-10-2014 12:34 AM
    Under "Processors" section all the Tegra 4 processors should be 2009, it's normal.
    I just checked even on my brand new Surface 2 updated correctly the first time without a problem, don't worry :)
    Thanks! So I justed checked, and all my drivers are up to date.

And afert 2-3 days of using my surface 2, I haven't had the "stuck in sleep mode" problem.
    I can confirm Paolo's method is working! Thank you again!
    02-10-2014 03:27 AM
    Thanks! So I justed checked, and all my drivers are up to date.

And afert 2-3 days of using my surface 2, I haven't had the "stuck in sleep mode" problem.
    I can confirm Paolo's method is working! Thank you again!
    You're welcome ;)
    02-10-2014 05:20 AM
    Thats the thing, even with restoring with my own USB image, I still kept getting sleep of death and more errors in system log...weird.
    02-10-2014 05:33 AM
    Did you do everything ? Restore from usb, installing all update, running the executable from Paolo, and updating again?

Because for me it seems to have solved all my problems. But I didn't try to refresh yet, and I don't know if I will...
    02-10-2014 09:35 AM
    It SEEMS that MS officially fixed the drivers problem with latest firmware/software updates, see here: Drivers and firmware cannot be updated on Windows 8.1-based devices

:)
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-11-2014 02:09 PM
    It SEEMS that MS officially fixed the drivers problem with latest firmware/software updates, see here: Drivers and firmware cannot be updated on Windows 8.1-based devices

I just got my Surface back today from repairs. Well, I got a Surface. This is definitely not my original. The dented edge isn't there plus the volume rocker works fine! I updated all the drivers and everything looks fine. I don't know whether that's due to my replacement or today's firmware update. Either way, today was a great day to get my S2 back!
    02-11-2014 10:04 PM

Paolo & all .
    In a weeks time mostly I will be picking up a surface 2 in Hong Kong , what are the first steps i need to do to unsure that I have stress free experience with the surface 2 ?

Will the updates take a lot of time ? And has Microsoft finally solved the BOSD problem ?
    Iam asking this because I will be bringing the surface back to India with me , hence no chance that I can even replace it .
    Also can you help me with things I need to check hardware and software wise in the surface 2 to have trouble free experience from day one .
    02-12-2014 02:48 AM
    Paolo & all .
    In a weeks time mostly I will be picking up a surface 2 in Hong Kong , what are the first steps i need to do to unsure that I have stress free experience with the surface 2 ?

Will the updates take a lot of time ? And has Microsoft finally solved the BOSD problem ?
    Iam asking this because I will be bringing the surface back to India with me , hence no chance that I can even replace it .
    Also can you help me with things I need to check hardware and software wise in the surface 2 to have trouble free experience from day one .
    My advice is: just install all updates immediately after first launch (I suggest drivers first, reboot, and all the others next).

If everything install correctly without BSoDs, just use your Surface 2 normally cause everything is good.

Just DO NOT try to Refresh or Reset your device, at least not yet (even if it SEEMS that they solved those problems with latest update, but do not do it yet anyway if everything work well).

Let us know how it goes ;)
    02-12-2014 03:14 AM
    My advice is: just install all updates immediately after first launch (I suggest drivers first, reboot, and all the others next).

If everything install correctly without BSoDs, just use your Surface 2 normally cause everything is good.

Just DO NOT try to Refresh or Reset your device, at least not yet (even if it SEEMS that they solved those problems with latest update, but do not do it yet anyway if everything work well).

The drivers update , and regular updates are different ? And will the device prompt me for the same ?
    02-12-2014 10:01 AM
    The drivers update , and regular updates are different ? And will the device prompt me for the same ?
    You would see a list af all available updates, and can choose which install.
    Every update is under certain categories, Firmware and Drivers is one of them. Just deselect all and select only drivers first, install and reboot when asked, and then Select All the others from the list and install everything.

If everything will be ok after that, you're good ;)
    rav16 likes this.
    02-12-2014 12:40 PM
    The first thing I did before updating was create a backup USB.
    rav16 likes this.
    02-12-2014 02:01 PM
    The first thing I did before updating was create a backup USB.
    That's a nice advise too I suppose
    02-12-2014 02:38 PM

You would see a list af all available updates, and can choose which install.
    Every update is under certain categories, Firmware and Drivers is one of them. Just deselect all and select only drivers first, install and reboot when asked, and then Select All the others from the list and install everything.

If everything will be ok after that, you're good ;)
    Thanx a lot for everything .

I bought my surface 2 yesterday . And as per suggested by you before signing in or even downloading a single app , I just first updated the driver and firmware by selecting it and deselecting the rest .
    It updated normally , then I processed and updated the rest of long updates . It took time but everything got updated smoothly and nicely without any scene touch wood .
    Then I logged in with Microsoft Id and downloaded some apps and the surface was super up and running silk smooth .
    Thanx a lot for your help .
    I must say the surface is truely a amazing wonderful device .
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-17-2014 03:22 PM
    Thanx a lot for everything .

I bought my surface 2 yesterday . And as per suggested by you before signing in or even downloading a single app , I just first updated the driver and firmware by selecting it and deselecting the rest .
    It updated normally , then I processed and updated the rest of long updates . It took time but everything got updated smoothly and nicely without any scene touch wood .
    Then I logged in with Microsoft Id and downloaded some apps and the surface was super up and running silk smooth .
    Thanx a lot for your help .
    I must say the surface is truely a amazing wonderful device .
    You're welcome guys ;)
    Now go check the other Sticky Topic: Surface 2 Tips and Tricks, you will find a lot of other very useful suggestions.

Enjoy this wonderful device :)
    rav16 likes this.
    02-18-2014 01:30 AM
    You're welcome guys ;)
    Now go check the other Sticky Topic: Surface 2 Tips and Tricks, you will find a lot of other very useful suggestions.

Enjoy this wonderful device :)
    Sure , read already .

Btw how do I know I have the latest drivers ? Iam sorry to ask such noob questions , it is because I have never used windows 8 and above before the surface 2
    02-18-2014 02:56 AM
    Sure , read already .

Btw how do I know I have the latest drivers ? Iam sorry to ask such noob questions , it is because I have never used windows 8 and above before the surface 2
    If you have not Refreshed/Reset the Device you have the latest drivers for sure after Windows Updates.
    And even if you have, MS officially released a fix that solves the problem with latest patches.

To check drivers you have to go to "Device Manager" (search it in Charm -> Search), right-click the hardware component you want to check, and click Properties -> Driver. You should have Novembre/Dicember date in the description of the drivers (not all of them, but only the most important like Video Adapter, Sound Card, Wi-Fi adapter and so on).

Anyway: don't worry about it ;)
    rav16 likes this.
    02-18-2014 03:08 AM
    Well, I have the latest drivers but that hasn't stopped the display crashes. I still get them, usually when outputting to a second monitor. Not sure what else to do besides call Microsoft.
    02-18-2014 06:47 AM
    Well, I have the latest drivers but that hasn't stopped the display crashes. I still get them, usually when outputting to a second monitor. Not sure what else to do besides call Microsoft.
    Well that's very strange.
    Didn't you already exchanged your device for a new one? Did you do another (faulty) Refresh?

My replacement (regularly updated and configured) it's just flawless: no Sleeps of Death, no display errors in eventlog, no problems at all with latest February firmwars/os/apps patches, and great battery life while sleeping too (no sudden wakes).
    I haven't refreshed it yet though, and I never will I suppose.
    02-18-2014 09:52 AM
    Nope, never refreshed it. Maybe there's some sort of internal hardware component that's different between the U.S. and European S2.
    02-18-2014 11:25 AM
    Nope, never refreshed it. Maybe there's some sort of internal hardware component that's different between the U.S. and European S2.
    There is also the possibility of an error in the hardware design itself. It wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft got bit by a NVidia Tegra hardware bug.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-19-2014 01:56 PM
    At this point I would try my Method (Reset from USB, then all updates) and see if errors go away.

The drivers bug should be fixed with latest patch, so you don't need the .bat anymore I suppose, in your case install all OS patches first, and drivers only in the end, and check event log after 1-2 days of usage.
    If you still see display errors exchange it again...

Mine has no hardware errors after many days of heavy usage, so should be with yours.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-20-2014 01:43 AM
    Do you output to a second monitor? That is when I get all my errors.
    02-20-2014 06:40 AM
    Do you output to a second monitor? That is when I get all my errors.
    Yes, watched a couple of Movies with my SAMSUNG LED 40" plus HDMI cable, and no errors at all.
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-20-2014 07:34 AM
78 1234