Surface 2 worth to buy now?

Toby Ng

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
A little disappointed not seeing a new surface with Tegra K1 or mini sized model.
That's why I am thinking to buy Surface 2. As a student,I want a tablet with the full functioned Office that I can check and edit homework easily. Is it still worth to buy a Windows RT tablets right now? Do you guys think Microsoft will announce new surface tablet later? I really hope Microsoft would bring out a surface-liked, atom/arm equipped, 10.1 inch Windows 8.1 tablet in the future.
Can someone who have Surface 2 share you experiences?
By the way, anyone use Splashtop and stream PC games to Surfsce? Is it good?:wink:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it, if you really want to have a premium Windows experience. The battery life and kickstand and the sheer functionality of Windows RT alone justify the cost.

Though, you could skimp a bit and get yourself a T100 for a much lower price. Yes, it includes Office.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Though, you could skimp a bit and get yourself a T100 for a much lower price. Yes, it includes Office.

For a student who actually has to do a lot of typing and a lot of reports, I can't advise the T100 at all. I own both the T100 and the Surface RT and Surface Pro 2. Between, the T100 and the Surface RT, I take the Surface RT any time. And since the Surface 2 is a lot faster than the Surface RT, it almost makes it a slam dunk (if not for the fact that I got the Surface RT for under $200).

If you want my thoughts on the T100, see: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-2/283290-surface-pro-2-college.html#post2535423

As for remote desktop, I don't recommend it for gaming. Maybe some one who has the Surface 2 can try it out? I only have the original Surface RT and it's too slow to do gaming with remote desktop software. The rate-limiting step is probably the wireless network as the fastest the Surface machines (except for the Surface Pro 3 which supports 802.11ac) support is wireless N (802.11n).

I'm curious if the Surface 2 is fast enough for remote gaming. So if anyone can test that, let me know.

Toby Ng

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I stick with Surface because I like the design, kickstand and keyboard covers(both touch abd type covers).
And I think Microsoft can cope with Nvidia, releasing the Nvidia Gamestream like what we see on Nvidia Shield(same using Tegra 4 or K1 later). This is a method for boosting sales :)

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I think its a shame that the uptake of these devices still seems to be relatively low.

If I think how I've used the device over the last 3 days it's clearly such a fantastic machine, that would suit so many people, most of whom would almost certainly would never give the device a second thought.

Yesterday evening I used it to create and edit a complex Word document, keeping the email I was transferring info from open in a multitasking window, using a USB mouse alongside the type cover. I later watched something on BBC Iplayer whilst cooking in the kitchen.

Today I've taken it into work to present a Powerpoint presentation via HDMI and I write this in a coffee shop whilst browsing the web. I need to edit a large spreadsheet later, for which I will plug the Surface 2 into my external monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and USB mouse.

And at no point will I have even thought about turning on my 15.5" full windows laptop.

In contrast, I had an Ipad for 3 years which got used for watching videos and that's about it.

The Surface does almost everything I could want it to, and the type cover is utterly fantastic (particularly now double-tap to click has been introduced).

Its a shame the Tech press keep lambasting Windows RT for what it doesn't do, completely ignoring the fact that for a huge percentage of people just having Office and a proper browser that supports flash is all they need. Screen size is easily overcome by plugging into an external monitor.

Conversely, whilst an iOS or android tablet has a plentiful selection of apps, using them to do anything beyond multimedia in my experience is an absolute exercise in frustration. Adding a mouse into a windowed desktop environment that allows proper multitasking adds a completely additional layer of functionality.

I can't answer your question about gaming.

The only things I'd change would be better web browsing battery life, proper Sonos and Spotify apps and for MFST to stop introducing new bugs every time a new update is released!

Go for it, its awesome.

Windows 8 makes absolutely perfect sense on these devices too. MFST dropped the ball with a few things which totally unnecessarily opened themselves up to criticism (no start button, no boot straight to desktop) from the POV of a non-touch desktop owner. On the Surface devices it works fantastically well leaving you with the option of both worlds and proper multitasking.

Toby Ng

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
People always compare the Surface with PCs or notebooks. However, it should be like this:
Surface VS Ipad VS Android Tablets
Surface Pro VS Notebooks VS Ultrabooks

I have tried the Asus VivoTab RT (long long time ago), I think it fits what I want. The only concern in my mind is whether there will be a new Surface coming out this summer with Tegra K1. Since Tegra K1 will be coming out this summer, and this maybe the reason why Microsoft didn't announce any new Tegra K1 Surface.
I think I will wait til summer and see is there any new Surface Tablets. If no, I think I will go for Surface 2 (maybe with lower price :smile: )

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I see what you mean but in all honesty you can compare the Surface 2 with a laptop, dependent on what you use your laptop for.

I would argue that the majority of average punters (i.e. not those that frequent technology forums) use their laptops for web-browsing, editing documents and sending emails. Maybe store some music too. I can't think of any of my family or friends that uses their laptop for anything other than that. All this talk of advanced Photoshop editing, VPN clients, remote desktop blah blah blah is restricted to the absolute minority.

For all these "normal" people, many of whom are buying iPads at great expense in their millions, the Surface 2 can replace their laptop too.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday evening I used it to create and edit a complex Word document, keeping the email I was transferring info from open in a multitasking window, using a USB mouse alongside the type cover. I later watched something on BBC Iplayer whilst cooking in the kitchen.

Today I've taken it into work to present a Powerpoint presentation via HDMI and I write this in a coffee shop whilst browsing the web. I need to edit a large spreadsheet later, for which I will plug the Surface 2 into my external monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and USB mouse.

And at no point will I have even thought about turning on my 15.5" full windows laptop.
That's been my experience (over the long haul) as well. The capabilities of the hardware connectivity are truly outstanding and not in question.

In contrast, I had an Ipad for 3 years which got used for watching videos and that's about it.
That is more a reflection of what your use cases are for a tablet rather than any inherent limitation of the iPad. I've owned iPads since day-1 and I've owned keyboards for them since day-1 as well (I bought the keyboard dock). I have always been able to perform productivity tasks, give presentations, and do things that can't easily be done with the Surface 2. (eg. Podcast recording/production)

The Surface does almost everything I could want it to, and the type cover is utterly fantastic (particularly now double-tap to click has been introduced).
The trackpad is terrible. It should be a crime to include that trackpad on a keyboard that cost $130.

Its a shame the Tech press keep lambasting Windows RT for what it doesn't do, completely ignoring the fact that for a huge percentage of people just having Office and a proper browser that supports flash is all they need. Screen size is easily overcome by plugging into an external monitor.
I agree. Some of that has been caused by Microsoft's marketing and positioning.

Conversely, whilst an iOS or android tablet has a plentiful selection of apps, using them to do anything beyond multimedia in my experience is an absolute exercise in frustration. Adding a mouse into a windowed desktop environment that allows proper multitasking adds a completely additional layer of functionality.
It must depend upon what you're looking to do. I've been able to do, from a software perspective, everything that I can do on my Surface 2 and much more and do it more easily on the iPad. Whether it is jotting handwritten notes, drawing diagrams, sketching, blogging, extensive note taking, research, presentation, multimedia creation, I have been able to do it with overall less frustration and less fiddling around on the iPad 4 than on the Surface 2. Where the Surface 2 reigns is in the hardware. I can attach USB devices easily and directly. I've mentioned numerous times here how terrific it is to directly attach my Blue Yeti USB microphone to the Surface 2 have it recognized and usable. The problem is the lack of quality apps to use it.

The only things I'd change would be better web browsing battery life, proper Sonos and Spotify apps and for MFST to stop introducing new bugs every time a new update is released!
"Awesome" is subjective. I would not call a device that needs to be troubleshooted each month because of buggy updates, awesome. I'm still getting 12-14 hours of use out of my year old iPad 4... that's heavy usage w/bluetooth keyboard and network access.

All that to say this... I don't think the Surface 2 (or any device) is a de facto slam dunk for a person. Everyone needs to carefully examine how they use their devices, what they hope to do with them, and determine which one most closely matches.

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I would respectfully disagree with some of your comments from my point of view:

- I have always found the trackpad more than adequate on the type cover 2. However, if I am doing some "proper work" (fiddly document editing etc) then I would usually be sitting at a desk and will plug a USB mouse in, just as I would on my laptop. For everything else, I've settled into an easy combination of touch screen and trackpad use that works very well indeed.

- For me, I was never able to perform productivity tasks such as document editing, spreadsheets etc on an ipad without eventually breaking out my laptop. I found the inability to multi-task with multiple different windows would prevent me from ever completing what I needed to do efficiently enough to warrant persisting with the tablet. Even with a well designed an app / keyboard on the tablet, it never competed with using a proper desktop environment.

Overall I just feel it is a mighty shame that many people whom might benefit from augmenting an ageing laptop with the S2, instead of buying an ipad or android tablet and then a new laptop, are probably not even aware it exists.

I absolutely agree with your overall sentiment though. Entirely depends on what you want to use it for.

I also agree that there is also a little too much ongoing evidence of the continued incompetence of the 90's MFST I grew up with. Some things will never change I guess.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually headed to best buy for an ipad air and ended up with the surface 2. Its growing on me and I just use ms office and browse the web. I know toshiba makes a tablet like product, but Ive own a few toshiba laptops that no longer work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa