oh no.. legacy x86 programs cannot be installed

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I am starting to feel the.. Impotency of being able to download legacy apps. My surface 2 is the only computer device that I use.
My laptop is still breathing. But I wanted to get used to living a life of no heavy gaming because I'll be going to my university soon.. But can I make it?

But I hope I'm more distracted with my school work once I'm there so I can forget about legacy apps ><

I miss games like Gunz (although I would have to play gunz 2 now) and Terraria!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that is the drawback of RT. You'd need a Surface Pro model (original, Pro 2 or Pro 3) if you want to run x86 programs.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Someone forgot that a ARM cpu doesn't run x86 software.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Lol nah guys. I remembered and I purposely bought the surface 2 to avoid the x86 software. I wanted to be productive; thing is, there is nothing to do this summer so I need games!!! Lol. Not apps from the windows store, heavy gaming.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Lol nah guys. I remembered and I purposely bought the surface 2 to avoid the x86 software. I wanted to be productive; thing is, there is nothing to do this summer so I need games!!! Lol. Not apps from the windows store, heavy gaming.

Unfortunately, you'll probably need to use a desktop/laptop for those.

simon.b

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would stop calling x86, desktop software and the desktop legacy. The desktop is still the best environment for productivity and the software I run on in is far from legacy.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I was considering an RT for that reason earlier. Heh.
Could always trade it in for something more x86'y

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't mean it's not "legacy"..

Legacy means it isn't being developed further. Legacy means the technology is expected to stagnate and not be the focus of further innovation. That is definitely not an accurate description of the desktop.

Windows is too complicated for the average consumer, and the average consumer is also holding advancement of the Windows desktop back. It is a good fit for corporations however. What MS is doing is splitting their OS into consumer focused and professional lines. Neither are going away, so neither is legacy technology.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99