Recovery USB Drive, how often to make or update one?

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
When I got my surface 2 I made a usb stick and deleted the stuff on the drive. I think I pulled the trigger too early as it did over 400 mb in updates over the next day I owned it. Well, just this past Tuesday I notice another 400+ mb of updates.

Should I remake the usb recovery drive or is it a moot point since I clicked the option to delete the stuff on the drive early on?

Would making one now after the addition downloads and updates save me that extra work down the road if I need to use it or is it a one time thing?

Last time I redid an xp installation this past Feb I spent 3 days downloading updates and rebooting. :crying:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the recovery partition is ever updated, so you shouldn't remake the recovery drive because you would just be remaking the same thing over and over.
At least assuming I understand correctly.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought it never changed because then it would no longer be factory condition. My Venue 8 Pro's recovery partition only had 8.1 without Update 1 out the August update and it didn't change. Now I made my own more up-to-date recovery using some guide (re: WIMboot) but I don't think it'll be doable on the RT.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I thought it never changed because then it would no longer be factory condition. My Venue 8 Pro's recovery partition only had 8.1 without Update 1 out the August update and it didn't change. Now I made my own more up-to-date recovery using some guide (re: WIMboot) but I don't think it'll be doable on the RT.

I agree that 8.1 to 8.1 Update 1 will probably not do anything, but at least on the Surface RT/2 going from 8.0 to 8.1 does seem to update the recovery partition. That's why people who had jailbroken 8.0 and were disappointed with the renewed lockdown in 8.1 weren't able to simply reset back to 8.0.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes