I own Surface 2 32 GB model. All I have left is 2 GB now !?!?!? What this is this a joke or something ? the amount of my apps and games use is less than 8 GB. And media is taking less than 3 GB space. That is less than 15 GB is being used by ME. What's taking up the leftover 17 GB ? alright I understand system takes up lot of space but still where is the leftover storage ???. what's so annoying is that it came with 25 GB out of the box. 7 GB was used for the system really ?? even disk cleanup is not helping all it cleared was 500mb and that's it.
    08-27-2014 01:34 PM
    well, 1st 32GB is actually about 29-30GB (1k=1024bytes, not 1000 like is used for marketing everything storage based) and you also have a restore partition (no clue on the size, or if RT has a restore partition) so you are shorted there from the get go.
    08-27-2014 01:41 PM
    Not sure abt restore partition. I just wanna know how can I free some space up ?
    08-27-2014 01:55 PM
    Well System takes up about 10GB (plus page file and other system files)
    Restore is about 3GB so that accounts for 13GB minus from 29GB overall, 16GB left
    I have about 3GB of apps and games (the only games I have are Halo and Jetpack Joyride)
    And 3GB of OneDrive, so that's only 10GB left, but exact number is 9.57GB free so that's about right.

If you transfer the Restore partition to USB and delete that afterwards it will give you around 3-4GB. But I don't really recommend deleting so as it's impossible to get it back to its own partition. Use an SD card instead for your documents and everything else (mines about 14GB) and create a junction of that SD card directory into your C: drive so it will think it's part of the system directory. You could either do that or mount the SD card as a hard drive, either way it achieves the same thing.
    08-27-2014 02:16 PM
    Use an SD card instead for your documents and everything else (mines about 14GB) and create a junction of that SD card directory into your C: drive so it will think it's part of the system directory. You could either do that or mount the SD card as a hard drive, either way it achieves the same thing.
    Unless you're attempting to install apps on the card (which doesn't even work properly in Windows RT 8.1) there's no need to mount or create junctions. Thankfully 8.1 fixed the major bug that 8.0 suffered from and has no problems with adding SD card folders to the various Libraries.

32GB is just way too less. I don't store any of my files on the internal drive and even then despite not having very many apps installed (biggest one is Asphalt 8) there's barely any free space left and it becomes a constant struggle. Every time you come across an interesting app you've to consider whether you need to uninstall something else first, which sucks. Not only that, we all know how Windows slows down when it starts running short of free space on the system drive. It was quite stupid of Microsoft to not support installing apps on SD cards. I do not recommend the 32GB models to anyone unless they're simply not interested in any apps.
    AJ98 likes this.
    08-27-2014 07:11 PM

If you transfer the Restore partition to USB and delete that afterwards it will give you around 3-4GB. But I don't really recommend deleting so as it's impossible to get it back to its own partition...

You can get the restore partition back by choosing to format the partitions during a restore from USB.
    08-28-2014 11:30 AM
    I followed the thread for new owners and made a back up usb drive and deleted the restore part, did a disk clean up. I ended up with like 18 gb free. I dont have any apps installed and use the sd card for stuff and the my doc folder. I dont use the one drive, but I suspect if you do its mirrored all your crap to your surface vs just letting you access it online when connected to wifi.
    08-28-2014 08:30 PM
    It is total CRAP that Microsoft has not restored the ability to install apps on our SD card.

After using my surface for several months I ran out of space for apps and had to nuke and repave my device to get some space and make it usable again. Since then I have simply avoided installing new apps.

It is a shame, really.
    08-28-2014 08:47 PM
    Sounds like my experience with android devices. I just recently got a samsung galaxy tab 3 with 8 inch screen 16 gb ram and room for 64 gb sdcard. Finally I got a device I can install half my crap to.
    08-29-2014 08:16 PM
    I don't understand anyway why gigabytes are given in such small amounts in all smartphones or tablets. They act like 64gb is the ****. Flagships go with 64gb. Rofl, we have terabytes on pcs now, it is bs.
    Also, windows updates eat up space like crazy
    08-29-2014 08:27 PM
    Rofl, we have terabytes on pcs now, it is bs.
    32GB definitely is inadequate and even 64GB might be, but don't forget all those terabytes on PCs are conventional hard disks whereas we're talking about more expensive flash memory here.
    08-30-2014 04:03 PM