The quietest end of production ever?

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I find it really strange how it is appearing based on out of stocks everywhere that the Surface 2 has reached end of production and yet there is no official word on this. There hasn't even been an article questioning it on sites like WindowsCentral. Not that it matters either way, I just find the lack of any news on this strange, any other platform would have many articles but it seems the RT is just slipping into oblivion.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Weird, perhaps MS sold more this season then they expected. I just got what looks like a brand new replacement from Microsoft via advanced exchange so they must have at least some units somewhere, they could be holding them back to sell more Surface Pro 3's.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't this announced on October 9? I have the link on windowscentral.com but not allowed to post it

Sent using Tapatalk HD

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't this announced on October 9? I have the link on windowscentral.com but not allowed to post it

Sent using Tapatalk HD

New report says Microsoft may end production of ARM-based Surface tablets | Windows Central

At this point it's really hard to make a case for Windows RT. All the great things that it does can be done cheaper on Intel based tablets. The best thing RT has going for it is that it's relatively stable and virus free. But with such limited (dead?) support, that's a pretty big trade off. I have a Toshiba Encore 2 and I've had less software problems with it than my old Surface 2. Still virus free. No major crashes. It's been a handy and stable little device. I'm just waiting for the next generation of Intel/Atom processors before upgrading to a more powerful, 8 inch tablet.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The best thing RT has going for it is that it's relatively stable and virus free.

Windows 8 is close to that. I work next to a PC repair bench (I don't do much of it myself but I see and overhear most of what goes on), and we don't see nearly as many virus infected PC's come in as we used to. I believe there are at least 2 reasons for this: W8/W8.1 don't get infected much, and XP is mostly gone. We still see a few XP machines, but most customers just tell us to get the data off and put it on a new one.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I find it really strange how it is appearing based on out of stocks everywhere that the Surface 2 has reached end of production and yet there is no official word on this. There hasn't even been an article questioning it on sites like WindowsCentral. Not that it matters either way, I just find the lack of any news on this strange, any other platform would have many articles but it seems the RT is just slipping into oblivion.
Generally speaking, Microsoft orders a production run at the beginning of the devices release cycle. They try to forecast demand but sometimes their estimates are off... way off. They way over-produced (compared to demand) the Surface RT... that is why they're still many in the pipeline as "refurbs".

Except for the XBox, I don't recall Microsoft ordering another manufacturing run mid-cycle.

All this can mean that they will no longer produce an ARM-based Surface, or that a Surface 3 is soon to come.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a mint Surface 2 with type cover 2 on Craigslist for $300. I couldn't resist. Only place I could find one new discounted online was on Amazon. I'm really digging the included Office suite, excellent display and kickstand. Really satisfied with this impulsive purchase :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
MS cancelled several of my Surface 2 32gb orders... apparently they were cancelled by "accident"... more than peeved as my siblings got ipads instead...

MS seriously needs to open up some stores outside of the US, it is getting more and more aggravating to even go into an electronics store.

in2caffeine

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a "new" Surface RT and love it! I've had an SP1 and still have and use my SP2, which mostly stays in the dock as a desktop. Yeah the original RT is slow, but its got great build and I use it to supplement my PCs by using it primarily with Onenote, IE and Email.... Its great that's its so nice and small...

Its like a useful (too me) Chromebook with MS Office built in. I can login my VMs on Azure as well so I don't miss the lack of x86 support on it...

I also like I can use the same keyboard attachments from my SP2 with it.... The SP2 rarely leaves the house now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes