Surface 3: Should I use the eMMC or a Micro SDXC card for installing (old) games?

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Surface 3: Should I use the eMMC or a Micro SDXC card for installing (old) games

Given the reviews and the tests on the eMMC, I am wondering whether I am better off installing things such as old games (eg Unreal Tournament, CS, etc) or even Steam for newer things on the eMMC or using an SDXC card?

I just ordered the 128gb Surface 3 and have an unused 64gb Strontium Micro SDXC card (from another tablet which I didn't use) which says "UHS-1 card Nitro 85MB/s 566x" on the packaging. Or would it be better to use an external USB hard drive?

Thanks!

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Surface 3: Should I use the eMMC or a Micro SDXC card for installing (old) games

external USB 3.0 hard drive is the best option because it's fast and it can hold all your games

Concacaf Gold Cup

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Surface 3: Should I use the eMMC or a Micro SDXC card for installing (old) games

Canelo vs. Kirkland Official Weigh-In - Friday May 8 at 4pm ET/1pm PT

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site

external USB 3.0 hard drive is the best option because it's fast and it can hold all your games

Thanks. Would that apply even if it was a portable USB drive (i.e. the ones which draw power from the PC rather than external power)?

I'm still not sure if I should be preferring the eMMC or the micro SD card. Any thoughts on this?

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. Would that apply even if it was a portable USB drive (i.e. the ones which draw power from the PC rather than external power)?

I'm still not sure if I should be preferring the eMMC or the micro SD card. Any thoughts on this?

There are software like HD speed, test your C: eMMC drive and the SD to learn which is the faster

EDIT

try this one:
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html
what matter are 4k and sequential test

Last edited:

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site

yes , I play my steam games through a portable USB 3.0 hard drive , get the hard drive if you think you need a lot of storage space (like 500GB)

if you only want a small amount of storage then a fast microSD will be fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes