Weight of Dock

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Why does this dock weigh so much? The transformer is separate and that is usually the heaviest portion. I don't understand why this thing weighs so much. At least it can double as a weapon and until my Book comes in, I will not have to worry about any lose papers escaping!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Well graphic cards usually add a lot of weight and so do batteries. That's like 90% of the dock itself.

I think ccpopham is referring to the "Surface Dock," and not the base of the Surface Book.

My thinking is that the Surface Dock is heavy precisely because it's supposed to be a stationary device that you install once and never move. It may even be intentionally weighted with extra bits of metal. I like it as a heavy brick because the cables don't have a chance of tugging it off the edge of the desk.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I think ccpopham is referring to the "Surface Dock," and not the base of the Surface Book.

My thinking is that the Surface Dock is heavy precisely because it's supposed to be a stationary device that you install once and never move. It may even be intentionally weighted with extra bits of metal. I like it as a heavy brick because the cables don't have a chance of tugging it off the edge of the desk.

Ah pfffft. I had a brain fart. Well you pretty much answered it the way I would've.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I agree it is definitely intentional weighting. I got a chance to play with the continuum dock for phones and it is also unreasonably weighted to prevent it from sliding around on desks and whatnot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro