Surface book accessories + softwares checklist

manueljenkin

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to get the surface book i5 or i7 both with 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD and dedicated GPU. I have put up a list of accessories and softwares that I would get and use along with it.
Pen Nib Kits, Decalgirl/Skinomi skins
- worried about the bottom not covered in decalgirl
-Can the skinomi skins be peeled of without leaving any residue like decalgirl.
-I hate that neither have a cut out for the microsoft logo at the back so I will be removing and replacing them later on.

Procase Sleeve. This is something I would put on the book before putting inside any bag. There's even a cool cut out so that i can charge the book without taking even taking it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sur...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3372820

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91YzASQPANL._SL1500_.jpg

Evecase Sleeve for travel.. I'll be putting procase sleeve inside this. Looking at the 14.1 inch version, or can the 13.3 inch one hold it properly? Amazon.com: Evecase 14 - 14.5 inch Laptop Neoprene Messenger Case with Handle and Carrying Strap (Black): Computers & Accessories

I would like to know the experience/impressions of other SB owners with the above products and whether there are better alternatives I should be looking for?

I'm mostly not going to put any screen protector. Is it better to use one?

And I need a display cleaning kit.. Any idea of a good cleaning kit? Or does MS sell one?

For entertainment software I'm gonna stick with stock music, video, and web browsers. Since I'm a student the entire Autodesk software suite is free for me. Visual Studio community is free for everyone. Adobe suite and Office 365 are also cheaper for students. I'll be using quite a few open source software like blender, scilab, etc And for my college works I'll be using Matlab, Codeblocks (or dev C++). And obviously a huge set of store apps for radio, fitness, social network, news, shopping, light photo editing. Looking to get mischief and/or manga studio later on but not sure I'll get the time to use them. Anything else missing or recommended?

And about the SSD sourcing.. Is it a random lot for both i7 and i5 or is it that the i7 gets the better Toshiba one? I've seen dave lee's review of sb i5 dgpu and it seems to have one with the slower write speeds.!! Thanks in advance

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have an i5/256/dGPU unit, and my SSD is the Samsung. FWIW, my write speeds are good (I ran crystal mark when people started complaining about the write speeds, but mine are fine and this is a launch-day unit). Not quite as high as the 512 units, but far better than the worst 128s. Performance is fine from my perspective.

I can't really address any of your other questions, but why do you need a screen cleaning kit? Just get a nice microfiber cloth to do the wiping and use some kind of cleaning solution (I often use the stuff that is made for my sunglasses) or just a damp, soft rag and then dry with the microfiber. I do not use a screen protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2