Ever have trouble getting the Book to turn on?

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
This has only happened once or twice. But this morning my Surface Book did not want to turn on when I pressed the power button. The keyboard lit up and the mouse laser was on, but nothing on the screen. It took 10 mins of pressing the power button for it to finally turn on.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

mcf517

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I just had it happen to me now, although I did not take 10 minutes (usually under 30 seconds) and I didn't have any peripherals attached to see if they were on. When this does happen, I usually have to press the power button multiple times, and/or hold it down for a while. I haven't kept track of which method gets it back on, but it is really annoying.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I just had it happen to me now, although I did not take 10 minutes (usually under 30 seconds) and I didn't have any peripherals attached to see if they were on. When this does happen, I usually have to press the power button multiple times, and/or hold it down for a while. I haven't kept track of which method gets it back on, but it is really annoying.

Thats exactly how it happened to me. I guess it was more like 5 mins. Either way, every time it happens it scares the hell out of me.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had something similar happen on my Surface Book, and my older Surface Pro.
I'm convinced that it has logical built in to ignore the power button, when it is transitioning power states. Basically, the more often, and the longer, you press the power button, the more it will ignore you.
I found that if you press the button once, then wait patiently for it to fully power off, like 20-30 seconds, then press the button once more, it powers up.
But if you press and press and hold and press and drink more coffee and press a few more times and nothing happens and you press more often or longer and hold and.............. :angry: ...... It doesn't power off/on properly.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I could not get my SB to wake up. I closed the lid and later when I flipped it back up, the screen would not come on. Again it took like 5 mins for me to get the thing to reboot.

This is happened twice since that last update rolled out.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I could not get my SB to wake up. I closed the lid and later when I flipped it back up, the screen would not come on. Again it took like 5 mins for me to get the thing to reboot.

This is happened twice since that last update rolled out.

I've had the refuse to wake issue a lot, but mostly before the most recent update. I just hold the power button down for a good 20-30 sec (waiting for it to fully power down, because I presume there's a screen wake issue happening in the background -- there used to be entries for this in the event log), then just a regular press/release. Usually there's a 5-10 sec delay from when I press the power button the 2nd time for it to actually begin the boot process, but it usually does boot without any further issue.

Lately I've been having the keyboard/trackpad go unresponsive on me in the middle of a game .... it had only happened once before, but this past weekend it was twice in a short time span. Luckily it tends to return on its own after maybe 30 sec to a minute. Annoying!

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Usually if thisI hold down the power button and volume up at the same time for about 10 seconds or so. Then I push the power button like normal.

Surface won?t turn on | Surface won?t wake from sleep

That would be what is called a two-button shutdown/reset in the Surface world (it's been around since the early Surface Pros). ;). It might be necessary in some of these fail-to-wake cases, and in others, it probably isn't. Doing it won't hurt, but IMHO, you should always try a simple forced restart first (hold the power button down for at least 15-20 seconds, release, wait a minute, then press & release the power button). If that fails, try the two-button process. If the fail-to-wake issue is chronic and the two-button process fixes it (when a simple forced shutdown/restart won't), I would try disabling the fast boot option in Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes