Auto brightness off, screen still dims

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else had this problem? The screen seems to adjust brightness by itself. I think it reacts to the brightness of whatever is currently on screen. So if I go from a dark window to a light one the screen seems to change brightness. It's very noticeable when watching movies that may go from one scene to another that could contrast in brightness i.e. an indoor scene followed by an outdoor scene. I don't know if this is the case or not but I tend to notice it more in tablet mode than in desktop mode. The biggest issue with this problem is auto brightness is off.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Some say this's the problem with Intel Adaptive Brightness feature.
Since the SB includes the Intel HD, I think it's the culprit. On normal machine, there's the Intel Graphic Control Panel to completely turn off this feature, but the SB doesn't have this options, so IMO, currently, there's no way to completely turn it off.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Some say this's the problem with Intel Adaptive Brightness feature.
Since the SB includes the Intel HD, I think it's the culprit. On normal machine, there's the Intel Graphic Control Panel to completely turn off this feature, but the SB doesn't have this options, so IMO, currently, there's no way to completely turn it off.
if this is the case, you can try download and install the intel graphics driver from intel. surface books are basically PCs. you can even install a standard version of windows into a surface book. after all drivers updated your surface book will have full functionality.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
surface books are basically PCs. you can even install a standard version of windows into a surface book. after all drivers updated your surface book will have full functionality.

Surface Books are PCs that come with a "standard version" of Windows 10 Pro pre-installed (that standard version, like any other laptop, includes all of the necessary drivers for the machine's hardware). There's nothing magical or special going on here -- Surface Book is just a laptop with unique functionality. There's a reason that large enterprises can wipe their Surface Books and install an enterprise version of Windows 10 and retain all functionality. All you need the proper drivers for everything to function correctly, same as every other laptop that's ever been made.

That said, I've noticed the brightness "issue" myself, but it's so subtle for me that I really don't care. I swore my Surface Pro 3 did it as well. It's interesting to know that there's a feature in Intel's own graphics control panel that you can completely turn this off, though. Good info, Dratwister!

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I just thought it was me because it is subtle for mine. I adjust the brightness down and then it will be too dim or too bright after a but.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Surface Books are PCs that come with a "standard version" of Windows 10 Pro pre-installed (that standard version, like any other laptop, includes all of the necessary drivers for the machine's hardware). There's nothing magical or special going on here -- Surface Book is just a laptop with unique functionality. There's a reason that large enterprises can wipe their Surface Books and install an enterprise version of Windows 10 and retain all functionality. All you need the proper drivers for everything to function correctly, same as every other laptop that's ever been made.

That said, I've noticed the brightness "issue" myself, but it's so subtle for me that I really don't care. I swore my Surface Pro 3 did it as well. It's interesting to know that there's a feature in Intel's own graphics control panel that you can completely turn this off, though. Good info, Dratwister!
I don't notice the brightness issue in my surface book. have you installed the intel display control panel in it?

Arievl

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
Not a Surface thing indeed but has to do with Intel. Because the driver on the Surfaces don't carry the Intel control panel you can't disable this option any other way then through the registry.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
Look for the following string:
"FeatureTestControl"=dword:00009240
Replace 9240 with 9250 and reboot.

No more dimming ;)

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Been super annoyed by this for quite a while, and was digging around for this exact thing today, and found the same solution! Its the Intel dynamic contrast, and its a weird and stupid feature to enhance darks and whites depending on what your screen is showing.
So happy to have found this.. it was extremely annoying to try and read your twitter feed in dark mode, and almost not being able to see the screen.

Alex45745

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,
Not a Surface thing indeed but has to do with Intel. Because the driver on the Surfaces don't carry the Intel control panel you can't disable this option any other way then through the registry.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
Look for the following string:
"FeatureTestControl"=dword:00009240
Replace 9240 with 9250 and reboot.

No more dimming ;)

Perfect! It worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)