Which size of the Surface Book 2 do you prefer?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Now that the Surface Book 2 comes in two sizes, 13" and 15", which size do you prefer?

Personally, I like the 13". It would be easier for me to carry around.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I prefer the 15, I already own smaller more portable devices including a Surface Pro 3. I've been wanting a more powerful 15, possibly even 17 inch device for photo editing and gaming when at a friends place.

15 inch screen I can doodle and take notes on sounds great to me.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
My opinion - I have a 13" HP Spectre, and I love it when I travel (small, lightweight), and I use it while on the commuter train to and from work every day. BUT... I also have an HP DV7 Envy that has a 17" screen, and I also love that laptop. It is big, and bulky, but sports a quad core i7, 500gb ssd, 1tb hd, and 12gb ram. When I have to do a lot of work (i'm a software engineer), I much prefer the DV7.

So when it comes to the surface book, my preference is probably going to go to the 15" model. And being a developer, I would want a fully loaded one.

Even though I'm a software developer, i'm not made of money, and sadly at this point i'm not willing to hand over the cash for either model.

the_craze

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the original Surface Book (i7/256/dGPU) and I'm not upgrading but if I were, I'd probably go with the 13 inch considering I have a bag and case that already fit the 13. I'd love the extra power but the 13 inch is actually perfect for me: it's portable, light enough, and the screen is still easy to read and get work done on. I'd miss the 1060 GTX though.

LennH

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I really want the 15" but after conversions etc it's going to cost me about $18000 for the cheapest model in that size...YIKES. Anyone needs to buy a kidney, part of a liver or lung?

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Surface Book 2 comes in two sizes, 13" and 15", which size do you prefer?

You can do more with 15", including gaming. The 15" model is virtually a portable Surface Studio.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
The 15" model is virtually a portable Surface Studio.

That's a great point. I'm going to be buying a notebook that both I (a writer) and my wife (an interior designer) can use. She's been champing at the bit for a Surface Studio, but we can't afford both a new notebook and a new desktop/AIO.

So, to your point: the SB2 15" is essentially a smaller version of the Surface Studio. It's also actually more powerful. So I get a great machine for writing (3:2 display, great b/w contrast, etc.) and she gets a great display along with a larger screen for Surface Dial support, plus the GTX 1060 for her apps that use the GPU.

It's expensive, but since it meets both our needs, it's probably the best overall investment. I'm just not sure how many people that will apply to...

Shrave

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
95% chance I won't get either, but if I had to, I'd say 15" simply because of the GTX 1060. I'd prefer the smaller 13.5" one, but I don't like the weak GTX 1050.

tdogdfw

May 22, 2014
Visit site

One hidden note is that while the 13" can perform some of the new capabilities with the new pen, it will NOT support the hardware acceleration. Nor will it have the "instant on" capabilities which requires a special chip only found in the 15" version. One of the things I love about the new Surface Pro and Laptop is the "Instant On" notifications when you tap the power button. There is zero delay and you immediately see the screen/logo. This is only available on the 15".

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
One hidden note is that while the 13" can perform some of the new capabilities with the new pen, it will NOT support the hardware acceleration. Nor will it have the "instant on" capabilities which requires a special chip only found in the 15" version. One of the things I love about the new Surface Pro and Laptop is the "Instant On" notifications when you tap the power button. There is zero delay and you immediately see the screen/logo. This is only available on the 15".

Whooaaa, how do you know this? I can't imagine why that feature would be left out. You sure?

Mohammad Shafei

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
Given how ridiculously heavy the 13.5" one is, which is about the same weight as the 15" (85% of the weight), and given that the 15" has the selling point of the whole device (the GTX 1060), going with the 15" is a no-brainer.

The only reason why I would choose the heavy and junky 13.5" is that it's cheaper. In a way it is also the 13.5" that MS announced when the Surface Book 1 first came out. That amazing Steve Jobs type announcement was awesome, but complete BS (read they lied). Now they finally delivered what they promised.

I would NEVER get the base 13.5" without the GTX 1050. Plenty of better ultrabooks out there, including the Surface Laptop.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon