The Camera!

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Agreed. If it's gonna sell well over $1000 will need to get an at least decent Camera.

I wonder if they can still use some of nokias camera systems?

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd find it difficult to believe that after the WP days, where MS specified the requirement to include hardware camera buttons, that this time around they'd just dump it and fit it with a potato. After all, most of the surface cameras are potatoes, but no one really expects anything brilliant for a computer.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
1543346587_foldable_phone_camera_story.jpg
1512666172_surface_phone_patent_story.jpg

Unless Microsoft pull off something like this patents don't expect any miracle in camera department.
Because realistically think about it how big sensor Microsoft can put in 4.8 mm thin device. I think it will end up with 1/3inch sensor same size as lumia 920 sensor. Maybe by providing multiple camera like current iPhones Microsoft can achieve decent image quality.
Overall I think you can't expect as good camera as current samsung & apple phones.
Unfortunately this is the sacrifice Microsoft have to make to design both half of surface duo identically thin at 4.8 mm.

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
There's still plenty of time on this and hardware isn't final so things might change, but one thing to keep in mind though is that this device creates interesting camera considerations that never had to be looked at in the past.

One cannot see the screen without opening the device. So in order to get an experience similar to what people are used to, they would have to manipulate the device in some manner (open it up). I hear a lot of talk about the lack of an external camera. Of course, where's, for lack of a better term, your view finder? If one wants to see what they're taking a picture of, making sure everything is in frame, etc., they're already going to have to open the device. It's the one drawback to the Duo's design.

But, with this in mind, it's possible for the Duo to run a single camera that is used for both forward facing and rear facing scenarios. Open the device and have the camera pointing towards the users for video conferences and selfies. Have the display panel with the camera folded back and one now has a rear facing camera.

There's then some trade-offs with this design. On one hand, the Duo only really needs 1 camera. The device's posture just dictates whether it's a rear facing or front facing camera. This means that Microsoft saves on the number of cameras the device needs and can either sell the device for a little less or re-invest that into another part (more memory, better camera for the one that remains, etc.). Additionally, if the one camera's quality is high, that means the front and rear facing cameras are high quality. The downside though is the device cannot simply be pulled from the pocket and used as a camera without manipulating the device's posture.

This is also an area where I think it might impact Microsoft's final design. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they increase the thickness of the device just a tad so they can get a higher quality camera in the device. Given how big the camera quality is for many mobile device users, it can't be a sub-par camera.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the first gen won't have so good a camera. But with a second gen, and obvious redesign, it will improve.

I would be happy to get the OG Pixel camera at least as their starting point. haha But I think the camera will be good, but not to any levels other manufacturers are at.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I would be happy to get the OG Pixel camera at least as their starting point. haha But I think the camera will be good, but not to any levels other manufacturers are at.

I completely agree. The camera will be improved with other hardware iterations.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I see Panos now saying it will have a great camera, I think you have to consider the Duo to be prototype hardware. I wonder when there will be a Developers version available for sale?

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I must be the only person who isn't really bothered about the camera quality. I don't really use phone cameras much.

Yeah, I agree. I mean use them of course, but it has never been a strong selling point for me, I barely use any of the additional camera features on my Pixel 3, lol

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Saw some rumours that apparently the duo will have a world class camera. Not sure what that means precisely, but good quality cameras are always interesting and piquing my interest somewhat.

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Saw some rumours that apparently the duo will have a world class camera. Not sure what that means precisely, but good quality cameras are always interesting and piquing my interest somewhat.

It would HAVE to have a world-class camera! You have a barn-burner new design, and then put in a less than stellar camera? It would be a laughing stock! It would have to be better than the newest Pixel and iPhone cameras (or at least AS good) in order to make the package complete. Anything less would seem to be equivilent to a wet firecracker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon