USB-C charging is slow

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
First time to charge a device using USB C aside from my phones.

Noticed that the surface go charges so slowly on USB C.

Is this universal?

chiragd41

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
No but this surface go provide fast charging option after slow charging it not possible so check and go help center immediately. Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
First time to charge a device using USB C aside from my phones.

Noticed that the surface go charges so slowly on USB C.

Is this universal?

I've never really got into usb-c charging much. But I'm lead to believe you need a compatible charger AND a compatible cable for fast charging. Can someone confirm if thats correct?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I really don't know what specs and what to find out look for.

Sucks that not all USB C cables are equal.

I am using a Samsung fast charger though.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Using the Samsung DeX Dock USB C Charger with the Go at 36% battery showed 2 hours and 36 minutes to charge and using the nSP Surface Charger 57 minutes to fully charge....

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Using the Samsung DeX Dock USB C Charger with the Go at 36% battery showed 2 hours and 36 minutes to charge and using the nSP Surface Charger 57 minutes to fully charge....
Huge difference.

I am starting to setup more USB C chargers around the house. So what specs for a charger do I need to be able to charge the Go efficiently?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I've never really got into usb-c charging much. But I'm lead to believe you need a compatible charger AND a compatible cable for fast charging. Can someone confirm if thats correct?

Pretty sure this is accurate. You do need both cord and plug conforming to fast charging spec to get fast charging.

boozytank

Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
Huge difference.

I am starting to setup more USB C chargers around the house. So what specs for a charger do I need to be able to charge the Go efficiently?

A good charger would be a USB-PD charger capable of at least 29W, the included Surface charger operates at 24W I think.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Huge difference.

My guess would be a 24W or greater, I'm going to see if I can find a Dell or MacBook charger around here and test :)

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So I got this charger and it charged pretty quickly from 17% to full in over 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3756057

0e891a1ac70e1b326a4b1ca0ff167930.jpg

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What wattage charger are you using? The OEM Surface Power supply is 24W, and they reccommend 29W + in order to charge via USB-C.

If you're using a cell phone charger I GUARANTEE it's too low wattage. I haven't seen a USB-C phone charger supply over 15W and even then, it has to be USB-C PD spec (power delivery). I have a LG brand USB-C PD 15W charger and it will do about 1% every 2 minutes when not actively using.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've just bought a USB-C PD battery pack, it charges the Go at least as fast as the standard charger (I suspect but haven't taken any measurements, it's faster). Pleasantly surprised to say the least, not only that, but the pack seems to be capable of charging the Go several times, great if I'm making a transatlantic flight. Only downside, I need that port for peripherals, so my next test is will it charge via a pass-through USB C port.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I got mine from Fry's because they had it at $60 for a very brief time, this is the link https://www.frys.com/product/9523082?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG These are available from Amazon.

Running a proper test - from unable to boot, for an hour of charging booting into the OS to look at the charge state, 5 mins in, its showing 13%. So far the battery has managed to fully charge the Go once and has plenty left, according to the LEDs, but the pass-through test failed. Even though it knows it's plugged in, the Go battery level went down, so at best a trickle charge, but more likely none. At least with speedy recharging I can afford to wait the 60 mins or so to get nearly fully charged.

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Results of the test.

From completely flat, the Go wouldn't boot, in 1 hour it gets the Go to 85%, then seems to slow, taking a further 30mins to get to 99%, which is probably the max for the device when turned on.

That's pretty good for the battery pack, because that means we've done 2x the Go's battery and it still indicates 3 out of 4 LEDs, so I guess 50-75% left.

Last edited:

ChrisWiss76

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
at the home office Im using my MS 950 (phone) Display Dock as my external display and USB C charger. From completely dead to 100% it has taken about 6 hours. (yes I was using the GO while plugged into the DD)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99