Are you going to buy a Microsoft Surface 2 Tablet?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm curious, why did you choose Surface over another tablet? Not to imply that you've made a bad decision (after all, I've got a Surface 2 pre-ordered as well), but none of the reasons you've listed seem to put the Surface at an advantage to other tablets in terms of how well it fits your needs, but you must have had a reason for choosing it beyond it being a Microsoft product. (since that's about all 'being in the same ecosystem' means for now)

Mostly because of the hardware and build quality. I hate junk (not implying other RT devices are junk).

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay, that's a completely fair point. Surface RT is one of the most durable pieces of hardware I've owned, and I fully expect Surface 2 to continue that trend. To me that is very valuable considering how large the initial investment in these devices is.

Although with things like the Nexus line and Kindle Fire HDX that is becoming less true. It's really amazing what you can get for very little in the Android world.

But Surface is a very unique flavor of tablet and it is absolutely one of the most high-quality devices out there. I'm willing to drop the money on it.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
When I was younger I fell into the trap of buying cheap and suffered many times of low quality products. I learned years ago you get what you pay for. I am not happy with the higher price but willing to pay because of its quality.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
When I was younger I fell into the trap of buying cheap and suffered many times of low quality products. I learned years ago you get what you pay for. I am not happy with the higher price but willing to pay because of its quality.

I've learned that also. That's what I hate about the Nexus 7. It's cheap, but it's basically a yearly cycle. After a year the thing slows to a crawl and it's worthless.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
That's more an Android problem than a hardware problem. The Nexus 7 (the current version specifically) is a fine piece of hardware

Ironically, Surface RT has only gotten faster with time thanks to constant updates from Microsoft

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That's more an Android problem than a hardware problem. The Nexus 7 (the current version specifically) is a fine piece of hardware

Ironically, Surface RT has only gotten faster with time thanks to constant updates from Microsoft

Actually, I owned the current Nexus 7 and it feels like a $200 dollar product. You can't compare it with a IPAD or Surface. You get what you pay for. BTW - I returned it.

Edit: I agree on the Android software. It get's bogged down quickly.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I owned the current Nexus 7 and it feels like a $200 dollar product. You can't compare it with a IPAD or Surface. You get what you pay for. BTW - I returned it.

Edit: I agree on the Android software. It get's bogged down quickly.

I have the first generation Nexus 7 and still a pretty snappy device. A few apps like Kindle and Sirius XM and a few games for the kids and still runs good.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Got an email notification yesterday that my Surface 2 has shipped! Another notification today that my Type Cover 2 has shipped, hopefully they get here at the same time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I should definitely be getting a Surface 2. Went to Best Buy today and took advantage of the $200 trade-in deal. Originally I was going to re-gift my Surface RT to my girl and get the Surface 2 for myself. Instead I used the extra money to get her the new Kindle Fire HDX. She's going to be way happier with that than my Surface RT. And I'm still gonna get the Surface 2 for myself. Two brand new 2013 tablets for almost the price of one, lol. A pretty good deal, IMO.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Got my Surface 2 in the mail earlier today. Haven't been able to play with it much though yet.

Attachments

• WP_20131022_20_30_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131022_20_30_39_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • WP_20131022_20_31_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131022_20_31_38_Pro.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Want one, but honestly I can't see buying one when I bought a w700(i5) last year. It's pretty much a gen 1 surface without a sd slot and a bigger screen. And it really doesn't help that It came with a (admittedly cheap) dock, bt keyboard and case for free and if I want to have the same setup, i'll have to buy all of that stuff separately (and its all VERY expensive/overpriced). I want a surface (and I keep trying to find ways to justify the purchase :wink: )...but it doesn't make any sense for me to buy one.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well there's always the possibility of a trade-in or resale depending on condition.

I'd say Surface 2 easily outshines any of the first wave of Windows RT devices but, on the other hand, if you wait another year you probably can count on Surface 2 getting a discounted price, and of course then there will be the third gen device.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to answer "no" to buying a Surface2... Because I WON one!! :D
Yes! I'm one of the lucky 500 #RemixProject contest winners who'll receive a Surface 2 and the Music Kit in 8-10 weeks when they ship! I'm very excited if you can't tell! ;)

saveferris77

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am going to buy however doin so is not as easy as I'd like . First off i live in Guernsey which is dot the best place to obtain cutting edge hardware (unless it has an apple on the back ofc) but thats a different story .
so i first try to buy one from microsoft direct by phoning them .however the very nice man did say that every surface 2 they shipped to guernsey got stopped at customs and sent back ..i mean huh
but anyway i thanked him for his honesty and tried elsewhere. Here is where i found i slight problem the major resellers of the surface 2 i.e argos pcworld currys etc wont ship to guernsey:(
so i tried john lewis who said they would , so i waited 4 days till the expected delivery date and instead i get a letter saying no tablet due to internal security checks ...huh
so next option ..there is a company called ship2me which deals with this sort of thing to a backward island ..however i decided to purchace it from argos and use ship2me but as i ordered argos website crashed and was down for days:( so no receipt No or order No etc so couldnt get further in the prosses.
as it is now i phoned john lewis about the last order and the very nice man said must have been a glitch and they deff send to guernsey ..
so i ordered again . and this time just failed to prosses the order :(
last option is now upon me ..i wait 10 days till a friend goes to england and brings me one back .

i have never know it so hard to buy something that aint limited or rare.

BUT i still cant wait to get one as i cant see anything on the market as good for what i want.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my Vivotab Smart tablet for a Surface 2.
However, this maybe a redundant question as I am aware that the Surface 2 is purely for modern apps but I just need some clarification or re-confirmation from you guys... can I install the Utorrent desktop client on the Surface 2 as I used the client quite frequently ?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my Vivotab Smart tablet for a Surface 2.
However, this maybe a redundant question as I am aware that the Surface 2 is purely for modern apps but I just need some clarification or re-confirmation from you guys... can I install the Utorrent desktop client on the Surface 2 as I used the client quite frequently ?

There is uTorrent Connect in the app store. It costs 2.99 and works in conjunction with the website. There's also Torrex which is free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes