Survey: How common are hardware / software problems on the Surface 2?

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After seeing several threads with a fairly large number of people discussing hardware issues and software glitches, I think it would be interesting to see what percentage of people are actually having problems and how many are not.

If you own or have owned a Surface 2, please vote in the poll and feel free to sound off below in the thread.:smile:

Also, you can select multiple answers.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I selected I continue to have software problems / glitches after the update.

I purchased my S2 about 10 days ago, and up until a few days ago, I've been very happy. However, over the last few days I've noticed little glitches starting to pop up. Things like gestures not working, notifications not coming thru, IE locking up and then crashing, etc. I did a refresh yesterday morning, but sure enough I'm noticing the little bugs again. Very disappointing. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. I love the form factor and hardware, but I won't put up with the quirks.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think EVERY device, no matter what the OS its running, has glitches. If you claim your device doesn't, maybe its a glitch you haven't either noticed or run across yet. I gained all my respect for Windows and the difficulty of running an "almost" glitch free OS after I played around with Linux for a couple years. I enjoyed Linux (and it being free) but continually ran across problems. I honestly think its a matter of the individual and how much they are willing to put up with their particular glitch in their particular device. I like using my Surface while running on a treadmill and using head phones. My current Surface 2's sound stops after listening to and unplugging headphones. I need to reboot in order for the sound to start working again. Its annoying, but a glitch I'm willing to put up with (because, what's a reboot to correct an issue). There are many other reasons the surface is nice and far out weighs the one particular glitch I ran across (probably others, but I haven't noticed yet. lol).

BTW, my HTC 8x has more "glitches" than my Surface and I stuck with that.

TheCodifier

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that disappoints me with the Surface 2 for now is the faint speakers.

The max volume is seriously low compared to the RT.

wpjuanra

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Got my Surface 2 about two weeks ago and only had a WiFi software problem which was corrected on the first day with an update. Since then, I haven't noticed any hardware/software problems.

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Surface 2 for about 2 weeks now and I have continued software problems with Bluetooth. I at first thought it was the Arc Mouse but after messing with things I came to see its a Bluetooth issue and also noticed that many others have various Bluetooth issues. When the issue crops up it tends to whack out the OS so I need to restart and everything is fine. I have refreshed a couple of times and it fixes the problem for a day at best. Other than that its been great and I like the device, so just hopeful that a fix will come in a software update soon.

F60Outrunn

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
my Surface 2 was working PERFECTLY until the latest windows update, ever since then it has been a mess. massive battery drain, internet explorer crashes at random, surface will crash on home screen, email, even on standby so i have to reset the thing to get it to work. lag as well. even the live tiles dont work for me, bing weather live tile will work - once a week when it feels like it, only the twitter, facebook and people live tile actually work as intended. currently a massive dissapointment. considering i bought the type cover 2 as well i am feeling massively ripped of with the experience i am getting right now. wondering whether i should get a refund curently...:crying:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
my Surface 2 was working PERFECTLY until the latest windows update, ever since then it has been a mess. massive battery drain, internet explorer crashes at random, surface will crash on home screen, email, even on standby so i have to reset the thing to get it to work. lag as well. even the live tiles dont work for me, bing weather live tile will work - once a week when it feels like it, only the twitter, facebook and people live tile actually work as intended. currently a massive dissapointment. considering i bought the type cover 2 as well i am feeling massively ripped of with the experience i am getting right now. wondering whether i should get a refund curently...:crying:

Why don't you see if you can exchange it? Did you reset back to factory settings? It could be a pain, I know, but if it solves your issues, it may well be worth it.

F60Outrunn

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
by reset i meant i just held the power button down till it turned off. do factory settings delete all my stuff? regarding exchanging i may do at this rate.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
by reset i meant i just held the power button down till it turned off. do factory settings delete all my stuff? regarding exchanging i may do at this rate.

Yes, factory reset sets the device back to the condition it was when you first took it out of the box. Some yes, you lose everything in a manner of speaking. If you have been saving files and settings to SkyDrive, then they will probably get reinstalled when you log in. See here: Refresh or reset Microsoft Surface RT or Surface 2 | Surface factory settings

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think EVERY device, no matter what the OS its running, has glitches. If you claim your device doesn't, maybe its a glitch you haven't either noticed or run across yet. I gained all my respect for Windows and the difficulty of running an "almost" glitch free OS after I played around with Linux for a couple years. I enjoyed Linux (and it being free) but continually ran across problems. I honestly think its a matter of the individual and how much they are willing to put up with their particular glitch in their particular device.

I think the struggle for me is tthat when I owned an iPad 3, I had absolutely no problems or glitches on the device. It was super smooth all the time. I struggle with the idea of paying so much money for a tablet that is going to have to be reset on a regular basis bc apps are freezing or crashing or I can't unlock my device. On top of that, I am the only Windows guy in my circle and work place and if my device gives me any problems I will never hear the end of it! Lol!

At the same time, I love the capabilities of the surface and the typecover/touch cover deal sounds stinkin amazing.... So who knows. I'm gonna try out the Lumia 2520 and watch for review for it first. And then I'll probably pull the trigger.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I had to have my first one replaced due to lockups and artifacting. My replacement has problems coming out of sleep mode, and seems to have problems with at least the first gen keyboard cover. Guess I'm just unlucky when it comes to the surface

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon