so I'm about to sell my surface so i can pickup the new one
    have a few questions
    - will reset really swipe all my personal info?
    - i updated to windows 8.1. will reset revert back to 8? or keep the 8.1 on it?

would that be everything I need to do before I sell it to someone?

thanks
    greets
    11-11-2013 04:57 PM
    When you reset, you have two choices, quick (non secure), or full (secure wipe, takes longer). Choose the longer of the two. Even after the reset it will stay at 8.1.
    11-11-2013 08:41 PM
    When you reset, you have two choices, quick (non secure), or full (secure wipe, takes longer). Choose the longer of the two. Even after the reset it will stay at 8.1.
    great thanks! i have not started because waiting for a confirmed buyer first :)
    and all this can be done through the settings as described by microsoft on their page?

greets
    11-11-2013 08:44 PM
    Yep. You can do it via the app interface (right swipe, PC settings, etc), or through the desktop control panel.

It's rather painless process. You just need to power down when it finishes. If I remember, it's when it shows the welcome screen.
    11-12-2013 11:34 AM
    I did not need to power down. I didnt stay next to the device the whole time
    now I have a page that asks for region and language setting.

I have no way of "'figuring out'' if the clean was succesful...
    I guess I will just have to ''trust'' microsoft that all my data has been removed...

anyone knows if I can safely turn it off now? I definitely didnt need to turn it off myself...

greets
    11-12-2013 03:54 PM
    If you're at the Region and Language screen, then you're good to go for powering down (long press on the power button). And if you did the "long" reset, your data is wiped securely. So box it up and ship it out to the new owner, you're done!

Microsoft knew that people would be selling used devices, so for once they made accommodations and processes for doing it. I got my Surface RT used, and the person before me did the above steps before giving it to me. When I got it, I tried to see if there was anything to see from his previous use, and I couldn't find anything (he is a friend, and we were curious if the process worked. It did).
    11-13-2013 08:40 AM