Surface 2 did not want to turn on today.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I got a bit of a scare, this morning. I had plugged my S2 in and put it to sleep (hit the power button), last night. When I picked it up, and hit the button, this morning, nothing happened! Hit it again, nothing. Held the button down for several seconds, still nothing. Thought I was in big trouble but tried another longer press. Suddenly, it booted.

Hoping this was a one-off.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My original Surface did this a few times a month. Had to hold the power down for 15 to 20 seconds before it would boot. The thing would always respond to that...it never bricked or anything. Never knew why it acted that way sometimes.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Same with me. Sometimes my Surface 2 won't turn on, after I shut it down or closed it with the lid. A long press on the power button or just a click but a long wait usually works for me. However, if it doesn't turn on at all, try plugging it in with the charger, sometimes it wakes up the Surface 2 (from my experience).

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I got a bit of a scare, this morning. I had plugged my S2 in and put it to sleep (hit the power button), last night. When I picked it up, and hit the button, this morning, nothing happened! Hit it again, nothing. Held the button down for several seconds, still nothing. Thought I was in big trouble but tried another longer press. Suddenly, it booted.

Hoping this was a one-off.

Mine did this as well. Found out it just needed a little coffee, like me, in the morning to get it going.

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Occasionally when I open the cover it won't wake up, I have to long press the power and reboot the system. Always seems to do it when I want it to wake up quickly for a presentation.

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
i have this issue too.

Microsoft Support has told me that it is an issue with firmware or OS, and that they do not have any fix yet.

I have gotten my Surface 2 repaired and replaced with new a couple of times, and all devices have had this issue.

The problem becomes worse after a while, because my Surface 2 starts to crash with BSOD.

I hope MS fixes it soon. I have also posted about this issue in another post about screen will not turn on - it is the same issue...

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had this same "not wanting to wake up" issue for several weeks. I was able to somewhat fix the issue by completing a Hard Factory reset. I'm still not confident the issue will not pop back up as I'm never able to complete the factory reset without encountering a BSOD at some stage in the process.. I've tried at least 6 times and it's never been a clean recovery and restart...Tings seem to be going ok now but I still have odd driver issues and keyboard not working or my cursor not showing up (a reboot typically fixes these things) but each time is an issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon