my surface 2 review

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a wonderful time with the iPad 2 for nearly 3 years which I had picked on the release day itself .

The day iPad air was released , I went and played with it. The iPad air was incredibly light , thin ,fast and like every apple product smooth, and fluid to use .

Somehow in spite of everything being nearly perfect in the iPad for my requirements, the iPad air dint give me a "WOW " feeling.

Being a windows phone user (recently shifted to blackberry) for 3years , I closely follow windows phone and windows 8 development.

Last year I played with the surface 1 in USA , in fact a friend of mine picked one too . so having played around with it I knew perfectly what kind of the device it was i.e how powerful and how limited it was.

Once the new surface 2 came , I could see Microsoft had implemented all the required features hardware wise and software wise as per the feedback .

Full HD screen , USB 3.0port , thinner and a bit lighter , better battery life and most important windows 8.1 which takes the functionality to altogether on a different level .

Last week I was in Hong Kong and I picked up the surface 2 32gb version with cyan blue type cover 2 .

I had initially planned a black cover but in Hong Kong they had a black cover but with Chinese alphabets . After moving around in 3 stores I just got the blue cyan version . And me and my friends thought it was looking cool.

So far I have used it only for 4 days and my impressions have been as follows -

Extremely solid and well build product made out of magnesium alloy which Microsoft calls vapor mag .

Beautiful , crisp , sharp and colour rich full 1080p screen , watching movies is just joy on the surface 2 because of the 16:9 aspect ratio.

A full USB 3.0 port , I can hook every damn thing there from my camera , mic, keyboard, printer, mouse , anything and no need of any drivers .

Expandable shortage up to 64gb .

Free office 2013 .

Free 200gb SkyDrive storage .

Free one year Skype calling worldwide plus access to Skype WiFi hotspots .

Unlike the iPad I can download songs straight from the internet.

Beautifully designed apps from Microsoft likd bing news, weather , email , food and drinks , health , reader ,photo editor.

Full desktop class browsing , flash enabled . Extremely fast browser.

Easy to type onscreen keyboard , plus the typer cover 2 is fun to use too and being back lighted makes it more useful too .

2 stage kick stand is a killer feature too .

Virus free , no need to think and worry about viruses anymore .

The only con so far in 4 days of my use I found is , like all versions of window its is not as easy and straight forward to use like a iPad or a apple product .
And being based on the RT platform legacy apps wont work .(anyway I don't need any legacy apps , and for that I have my MacBook air )

The windows store has all the apps which I require and used on my iPad .
Facebook , flip board , Skype , eBooks reader . Photo editors , And in some cases the apps are better then iPad too for example the mail client , nook reader , and Facebook offer superior user experience in windows 8.1 .

Hyper and metro tube are youtube apps and offer superb youtube experience on the 1080p screen of the surface 2 plus they are ad free .

In coming days I will update along with pictures how it feels using a surface 2 everyday .

Here are some pictures of my new toy , THE SURFACE 2.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    911.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 20

davidbeahero

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similiar experience with the Surface 2. It leaves my ex iPad lagging behind because of office with live editing of document is very nice and the extra widescreen to watch movies is brilliant.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Can you use PhotoShop with it?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
The full blown photoshop no , all x86 legacy programs will not work on surface 2 , but surface rt has some cool editing inbuilt in the photo app , plus fotor, fhotoroom are very good editing softwares free in the store , the above pics were edited by using the inbuilt windows 8.1 editor .
Thats awesome that youre enjoying the Surface 2 :D
Thanx a lot , you and your epic videos have been a very helpful for me in understanding the power of the surface 2 , Which were more informative then reviews done by professional reviewers .

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The full blown photoshop no , all x86 legacy programs will not work on surface 2 , but surface rt has some cool editing inbuilt in the photo app , plus fotor, fhotoroom are very good editing softwares free in the store , the above pics were edited by using the inbuilt windows 8.1 editor .

Thanx a lot , you and your epic videos have been a very helpful for me in understanding the power of the surface 2 , Which were more informative then reviews done by professional reviewers .

But I need something to edit DNG files...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Some more pictures

Attachments

• fin3.jpg
    fin3.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 9
  • sur2.jpg
    sur2.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 10
  • SUR7.jpg
    SUR7.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SUR6.jpg
    SUR6.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 9

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Since the surface is not launched in India , there is no chance of getting a nice sleeve or a cover for the device .

Checked online and found everything not very interesting .

So went to the leather market in Mumbai and got one custom made genuine 100% leather cover for the surface 2 . Design wise I dint try anything adventurous kept it as much simple as I can .

Liked the fit and finish of the handmade leather sleeve , from inside they have given a nice suede lining . And since it is custom made it fits perfectly .
here are some pics .

Attachments

• lesth.jpg
    lesth.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 10
  • learh2.jpg
    learh2.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 10
  • fou.jpg
    fou.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 10

Bor Navas

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Liked your review, since I don't expect a BlackBerry 10 tablet to be released anytime soon, I've been thinking about a Surface 2 to go with my Z30. The only thing I think I would miss compared to the Pro version is that I need a vector program just like Coreldraw or Freehand. Are there any substitutes in the store?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Liked your review, since I don't expect a BlackBerry 10 tablet to be released anytime soon, I've been thinking about a Surface 2 to go with my Z30. The only thing I think I would miss compared to the Pro version is that I need a vector program just like Coreldraw or Freehand. Are there any substitutes in the store?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Sorry for the late reply , not sure if there is something similar to coral draw .

Btw guys was surprised to see the camera on surface 2 can click some decent pics too . Posting one from the rear camera .

Attachments

• WIN_20140306_153323.jpg
    WIN_20140306_153323.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 16

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2