Surface RT 32GB will not charge, now will not reboot after 8.1 update

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Last night I updated my RT tablet with the 8.1 update. Today when I connected the charger, no light. Before rebooting I looked at the battery icon and it appeared full. I tried rebooting the tablet. After the Surface splash, I got a low battery indicator and it shuts itself off. I've connected the charger for an hour and it still won't boot up. Aaaaand the warranty only recently expired.

I haven't found anything via google, anyone else have the problem?

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Press and hold the power and volume down (or volume up, I can't remember which it was for the surface) for about 30 seconds, it will do a soft reset and basically force a normal boot. (no data loss will occur :) ). This works for most of these sorts of issues!

gman1868

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Tried both, when I held the volume down button then held the power button, the Surface splash displayed for about 1 second then turned off. I held it for 40 seconds but nothing more happened

:(

xPafx

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Have the same problem, and found several others with the same problem as well on different forums. Seems to have to do with a faulty battery. Luckily, if your warranty is out, the problem will most likely pass once the battery is completely empty, after that it will charge and boot as normal. Unfortunately that will most likely take some time (a couple of weeks?), as it is difficult to empty the battery without using it... I'm trying to turn it on and on while doing other things, hoping that it might speed up the process...

Darlene Tatum

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
This is late I know but maybe it will help someone. I had the "battery won't charge" problem after I had not used the Surface RT for a couple months. It would come on, show a low battery icon then immediately shut off even when plugged in. I even bought a new charger and it did the same thing. To solve this problem, I pressed and held the power button (only the power button) for 30 seconds. Works fine ever since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv