8.1 Update 1 - Keeps returning to desktop...

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing a new problem after applying update 1 to my Surface 2. Every time I close all metro apps, I get sent back to the desktop. I know there is a setting for this in the desktop taskbar properties. But I have that setting turned off. It is pretty annoying to get thrown back to the desktop when you are using a tablet.

I've tried restarting, but that doesn't seem to help. I also tried changing my desktop setting, thinking that maybe it was syncing that setting between my desktop and Surface. This also didn't seem to work.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I verified that this is the behavior for my desktop pc also. Both by PC and Surface do not have the taskbar setting set to return to desktop upon closing all apps. This seems to be a bug. I hope it gets patched soon - it is quite jarring on a tablet to keep seeing the desktop when you close an app.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it is not a bug. I had this problem too and someone on this forum told me how to take care of it. What you do is the following: Go to your desktop. On the Task Bar right click. A menu shows up. Click on Properties. Under the first tab (Taskbar) UNCHECK the box which says "Show Windows Store apps on the Task Bar". The click Apply and back out. You'll see that your issue is taken care of.

I have done this both on my Surface 2 and on my desktop machine. The process is the identical in each case.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it is not a bug. I had this problem too and someone on this forum told me how to take care of it. What you do is the following: Go to your desktop. On the Task Bar right click. A menu shows up. Click on Properties. Under the first tab (Taskbar) UNCHECK the box which says "Show Windows Store apps on the Task Bar". The click Apply and back out. You'll see that your issue is taken care of.

I have done this both on my Surface 2 and on my desktop machine. The process is the identical in each case.

Thank you so much. This worked for me. Was having this issue since updating, but never got around to looking for a solution.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for that information. I wouldn't think that a property labeled "Show Windows Store apps on the Task Bar" would cause that behavior. So basically the assumption is that if I want windows store apps shown on my task bar I must also want to go back to the desktop when I close window store apps? Seems strange, but I'm glad I don't have to wait for another patch.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss