So, Ive been following some of the tips to speed up my surface 2, free up more storage and get a better feel for it. I got to the disk clean up wizard and have it cleaning up all the updates and other window files by clicking on the link in the dialog box after 3 uses of it as each time it gave different options. Maybe its me, but I miss not having a down arrow button with these fat fingers of mines.

So, I am about 3 hours into it deleting about a gb worth of files. The tablet still functions, I can do other things, but it seems stuck at 75% complete. I know from other things it is a bit on the slow side, but seriously?

Do I need to keep touching the screen to make it stay "on" to do the job, or does it do the same when the screen turns off from being idle?

Thanks
    04-22-2014 09:07 PM
    I use windows 8.1 but haven't faced such issues. I took 2-3 minutes to calculate data (1-2GB which includes windows update , temp files ) and 2-3 min to remove them.
    04-22-2014 11:35 PM
    So..... Should I click cancel or just reboot? Ive "fixed" quite a few problems already with the "reboot and see if it works" technique for solving problems. I thought windows 8 was better and different? Maybe staying with xp for 12 years wasnt such a bad idea?
    04-23-2014 06:41 AM
    You may click on cancel and reboot your pc. Lol windows xp is dead.
    04-23-2014 06:57 AM
    So..... Should I click cancel or just reboot? Ive "fixed" quite a few problems already with the "reboot and see if it works" technique for solving problems. I thought windows 8 was better and different? Maybe staying with xp for 12 years wasnt such a bad idea?
    Yes, I recommend cancelling and rebooting and try again. I too have noticed that Disk Cleanup runs an extraordinarily long time during the 2nd pass. Even with little to clean up it can take 20 minutes for the 2nd pass.

As for Windows XP, I just completed installing XP on my Gateway NV57H notebook a few days ago. Even though it shipped with Win7 (a month before Win8 was released), I managed to track down all the drivers I needed to get it to work. The machine is blazingly fast. AND because it is 32-bit Windows, it still runs the old 16-bit Windows apps that I have laying around. The security exposure due to Microsoft's abandoning XP is overblown.

The improvements introduced with Windows 8 do not address the aging and creaking subsystems within Windows that were present in Windows 2000. Win8 still requires a lot of handholding and maintenance.
    04-23-2014 11:06 AM
    Did I mention xp was running on my pentinum 4? 4 gb ram, 1 tb hd, sata at that. :) I got 95a, 95b, 95 osr2, 98, 98se and xp pro. Didnt get caught up in the ME hype or 2000. I also ahve office 97, 2003 and 2011. :)

Anyhoo, I returned to my tablet and it was done. I went to the recovery activity to make a recovery stick and delete the disk space taken up with it. Same problem. I only get a few hours to play with my tablet til its setup. It seems it main functions when the screen is lit. I have it set to time out every 2 minutes and since I cant find that option to change it I just tap the screen every other minute with one hand while using the p4 with the other.

It seems when the screen goes off it slows to a fraction of the speed when the screen is lit. I did it, made 4.3 gb on the thumb drive, saves 3.4 on the internal drive.
    04-24-2014 06:43 AM