Is anyone else surprised by the firmware update?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I had almost thought we were going to be relegated to the dustbin of Microsoft's mind, barely getting anything more then normal software updates. Yet here we are, another firmware update. Or do I just have too low of standards for Microsoft?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Organizations change over time as people come and go, the Microsoft of today is not completely the same as the one of a decade ago, and that applies to others as well. I guess its just MS's relatively poor reputation sticking around.

I'm not surprised at a firmware update, I'd be more thinking about how long the RT will see future OS upgrades, other than maintenance patches.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Organizations change over time as people come and go, the Microsoft of today is not completely the same as the one of a decade ago, and that applies to others as well. I guess its just MS's relatively poor reputation sticking around.

I'm not surprised at a firmware update, I'd be more thinking about how long the RT will see future OS upgrades, other than maintenance patches.

Good point.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Considering that support for the Surface RT ends in April 2017 and for the Surface 2 a year later, I'll be happy if we get Windows RT 9.0 (and perhaps 9.1) to run on them. Moreover the million dollar question is, will these be free upgrades? Who knows?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I hope these updates keep coming as my 1st gen surface runs very sluggish.

Unless Windows RT 9.0 manages to somehow squeeze out more performance from the old Tegra 3, what 8.1 achieved is the best you'll get. If you want something faster switch to the Surface 2 with the Tegra 4.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Unless Windows RT 9.0 manages to somehow squeeze out more performance from the old Tegra 3, what 8.1 achieved is the best you'll get. If you want something faster switch to the Surface 2 with the Tegra 4.

If they make Windows 9 more efficient, like I think they might, then it would work better on everything. Remember, we're likely merging with Windows Phone. Surely that'll help us out.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually not quite surprised, since Windows RT is still in the mainstream support period, even if MS decides to give up Windows RT, they still have to provide the support for Windows RT until the end of its lifetime.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, sort of, but not that it matters that much to me as it will only be a few handful of days left until I rock an SP3 instead :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon