SP3 vs Dell Venue 8?

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Will this be a major improvement over my venue 8? I don't really want to drop the coin on an SP3, but the venue has been cool but kind of underpowered for Garmin's mapping software.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Word on the street is that the CPU in the Surface 3 is only a modest bump over Bay Trail. However, the Atom x7 GPU is supposed to be significantly better than Bay Trail GPUs. I guess we'll know more once benchmarks are available. Even without benchmarks, I'd imagine the performance improvements will be noticeable.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
the Surface 3 is almost better in everything ,better screen size and resolution ,better ram and storage ,better cpu and gpu , better design and quality ,better ports and accessories, pen and kickstand , pure windows with no crapware.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wait, do you have the Android (Venue 8) or Windows (Venue 8 Pro) device? If it's the Windows one, then the S3 should be a noticeable upgrade in every respect except portability. Then again it is like 60% more expensive.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Are you comparing the Venue to the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3?

Because you said SP3 but everyone else is talking about the S3 for some reason.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Both, actually. But I've effectively eliminated the SP3 due to charging issues on the motorcycle. The SP2 could be a possibility, but not likely.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Both, actually. But I've effectively eliminated the SP3 due to charging issues on the motorcycle. The SP2 could be a possibility, but not likely.
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean about charging issues, but I use a small power inverter to charge my SP3 on the go and it works great.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean about charging issues, but I use a small power inverter to charge my SP3 on the go and it works great.

Just that with a 1 or 2 month road trip on a motorcycle, space is limited. I know that there are small inverters out there, but anything bigger than a pack of cards is bigger than I want.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Then you don't want the SP2 since its charging setup would be similar to the SP3.

In terms of performance (and everything really), the SP3 is a better device than the Dell Venue 8 and Venue 8 Pro. It has a more powerful CPU, more powerful integrated graphics, faster RAM, an SSD instead of eMMC (SSDs are faster), a larger display at a higher resolution, a very capable Pen, etc. But it also starts out at 4X the cost of the Venue 8 Pro and it's not fair to compare an $800 system (actually $950 with the keyboard cover) to an 8" Windows tablet at $200.

The Surface 3 is more expensive than the Venue 8 Pro as well and pretty much offers all of the same benefits as the SP3 (Surface Pro 3). It has a faster CPU, more powerful graphics, a larger display that is higher in resolution, faster RAM, faster eMMC storage, better battery life, and supports a Pen. They are really in two different categories as the Atom x7 SoC in the Surface 3 is above and beyond the Atom SoC in the Venue 8 Pro both in terms of CPU and integrated graphics performance. Either one is an upgrade over the Venue 8 Pro but then again, they are both a lot more expensive than the Venue 8 Pro (which is a really good 8" Windows tablet).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes