Is Surface 3 miracast capable?

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I received my shiny new Surface 3 on Tuesday and I picked up the Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor today. However, I'm not seeing the option to connect to a wireless display when I go to charms-devices-project. Is the Surface 3 capable of miracast? I have installed all updates as directed on MS's website, but no luck! :unhappy:

Thanks for any help.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
No luck. The Adapter is showing the startup screen on the television, so I know it is functioning, but the Surface does not see it.

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Same as tearfalls, I've successfully used it with my Xbox One. Since it uses WIFI to connect, make sure your network security is set to allow access. You have to allow the discovery of devices on your connected network before connecting the miracast adapter.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! So, you guys are confirming the Surface 3 can do miracast, I just need to find the issue that is blocking my setup. Thanks.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think the same thing. For those that have not used a miracast adapter with their Surface 3, when you go to Charms-Devices-Project, do you see an option to connect to a wireless display? I do not have this option and I am trying to see if that is just because the device doesn't see a wireless display to connect to.

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have the Connect to a wireless display option. Check the windows update again. I remember the first update I installed is for the wireless adapter. Maybe that's the reason.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I found the problem. I had installed a Cisco VPN client software for work. Searching online showed some issues with other VPN software, and so I tried uninstalling this. I immediately had the "Connect to Wireless Display" show up and I am now connected to the wireless adaptor. So:
1. I can confirm the Surface 3 is Miracast capable.
2. VPN software will often interfere with this connection.

Thanks to everyone who offered help!

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Well if the network is routing through the VPN how would it find the local miracast adapter :O
In my case having the notebook on "public network" not sharing information with the network doesn't allow me to add the TV as a miracast receiver

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue when I was playing with my Display Adaptor.

VPNs and virtual machine type software (eg VirtualBox) stop it from working. Found out the hard way.

Works VERY well though. I was really surprised.

SCM

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify from adrian1334's post, the VPN software was not running when I was having the issue. I was only connected to my home network. However, Windows 8.1 acted like I had a second monitor running. I was getting the choices of duplicate, extend, ect like I had an external monitor connected, but it would not give the option for adding a wireless display. As soon as I uninstalled the VPN software, the duplicate, extend, etc options disappeared and the add a wireless display showed up. The VPN software is conflicting with Window 8.1 in some strange way. This has been found by several people online.

Also, I don't think the local network should have any effect on this. Doesn't miracast work through a point-to-point connection directly between the adaptor and the device? I know the adaptor never had to be configured to access my network in any way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucasmorth