How is the Atom Processor?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about upgrading from my Surface 2 to a Surface 3 mainly as a result of limited app store, and the possibility of using it to replace my bulky work laptop when I travel (primarily to run office docs and a few small non CPU intensive apps including the companies VPN software). I have tried to find comparisons between the 2 and 3 with little success, and most Surface 3 reviews seem to indicate that the Atom is underpowered for the device. So with that said I figured to get the real story I'd ask the people who actually own one. How do you all feel the Atom processor does on the Surface 3?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to make high demands than go with the pro version. But what you are saying you are going to do, then the 3 should work fine. I would get the one with 4GB ram. Storage isn't that much of a problem because it will take the larger SD cards with no problem.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jcorbin121

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Steve - I have the base Surface 3 model. I run Office 2016 using mostly Excel to manage my family budget, do some other light spreadsheet work, write Word doc's use Quicken 2011 with 8 years of data in it (a little slow but not unusable) and have not really found anything that doesn't run at acceptable levels. I switched froma 17" Dell i7 Inspirion with 8GB of RAM, yes that box plays games better but the day to day apps run the same as far as I see. I love the Surface 3 after having it for 6 or 7 months, the only downside I can complain about is not being able to install apps to the removable storage card. I have the Surface 2 magnetic keyboard, the S3 Pen and a logitech USB mouse. The pen is pretty cool, works amazingly well, I have dome some 'whiteboard commenting' onto Office documents with it easily. I too have used my company VPN with no issue, I have the 10mb Charter and get pretty close to 90 mb down, 4mb up on a speedtext.net run. So far the Atom has held up, now if you look at task manager that little guy will run 80-90 % usage a lot of times but it keeps up pretty well.

John

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no high demand processing. In fact my Surface 2 does most of what I need, I'm just hoping the Surface 3 since I can install software would be able to allow me to access internal company info which requires a VPN connection. If it performs at least as fast as my Surface 2 I think it will do what I need / want.

scrumperman

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I run a full blown install of Photoshop on it with no problems. Mind you I usually have nothing else running at the time but it can still handle the workload.

Faizil Wasbari

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
My mistake was putting high expectation on the Atom processor for the first time. The reason was that I am using Lenovo i7 before. In the beginning, I did struggle a lot to get used to the S3 due to the processor and emmc ssd limitation. After the firmware update, everything works fine. After knowing the S3 limitation, now I think it is easier and more friendly to use it.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
We love our surface 3's. I am getting ready to install corel photo video suite x8 on mine. I know I have to probably make sure nothing else is running. But hey, I don't need upteen things running while using something else. The surface 3 is the best piece of computing gear we have owned. Both my wife and I love them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes