Thinking of surface 3 as a travel email/office laptop. Please help

audrius.poc

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
Hello, everyone!

I am new here and would really like to hear your opinions about the following matter. I want to buy a tablet that would primarily serve as a subnotebook during travel. I am currently using a 1st gen Thinkpad 10 (2 gb ram/LTE) and am more or less happy with it, but it gets very hot and the performance slows down even when using only Microsoft software (edge, mail, etc). Also any multitasking, even listening to music while writing and doing some research on the web is not an option.

So I thought it would be nice to upgrade to a Surface 3 (4gb/128gb/LTE) as i found a deal that includes the cover for 270 EUR near me. I feel tempted by the adjustable kickstand and quality keyboard, that I think I would be even almost accustomed to, as I use a Microsoft Foldable Keyboard with my Thinkpad 10.

Another option would be to get a slightly used, like-new TabPro S for 380 EUR. It is newer, has a core m3, a proper-ish SSD, the keyboard included as well and an even nicer screen (although no LTE, which is convenient for me). It also the angles are not adjustable and the keyboard non backlit.

I am also wondering of it's 12" screen will not be too big for me, as I also want to keep the device as small as reasonably possible, but with the relatively best possible performance. (I also have a a t450s for day-to-day work while not on the go)

Both devices are used in good condition.

Which device would be a more reasonable upgrade from my tp10?

Thank you so much for your help,
Audrius

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have a launch day Surface 3 and I believe that will do what you are looking for it to do. The only thing is it is somewhat under powered but good for surfacing web, emails and passing the time type games.

If I had the cash I would give it up for the new Surface Pro though.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The S3 is decent enough for not-quite powerusers. My wife uses a 64GB model, for her mail, FB, plant vs zombie etc. The battery life is average, but she's happy with it.
I paid equivalent to €430 years ago that came with the cover, 2yrs free Office365 & 1TGB OneDrive...

... !

Abel_Mill

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
well surface pro 3 is good choice but i would suggest you to go for surface pro 4 or 5 it is updated versions and provides long battery timing with outstanding performance. I am also using surface pro 4.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the Surface 3 with the same specs as the one you're considering. It does the job quite well and has pen support. The LTE option is very convenient as you state and the overall lack of cellular connectivity on most Windows tablets is appalling.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros