Will my Surface RT touch type keyboard work on Surface Pro2?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Side question, has anyone experienced any scratching on the screen of their Surface Rt/pro due to type cover?

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
something is wrong with your surface if it does that.

I don't have a surface, but many touch screen devices I find when I buy a protector for it...it just doesn't feel the same. I don't have one on my 920 and love it this way...so I don't plan to get one for the Pro2.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I know the feeling, I've never been fond of screen protectors for my electronic devices. They always make the touchscreen harder to use, it's just a less than ideal experience. I guess I'll risk it, and I plan on buying insurance via the Microsoft Store, so that should save my *** should something tragic befall it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I know the feeling, I've never been fond of screen protectors for my electronic devices. They always make the touchscreen harder to use, it's just a less than ideal experience. I guess I'll risk it, and I plan on buying insurance via the Microsoft Store, so that should save my *** should something tragic befall it.

Its not so much thats its harder to use, but more so the sensitivity and motion controls as intended feel lessened...hope that makes sense. I have a nexus 7, never put a screen protector on it and glad I didn't.

Anyway, so most of what I found online is not a single person reporting type cover scratching their surface screen so that's good.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Its not so much thats its harder to use, but more so the sensitivity and motion controls as intended feel lessened...hope that makes sense. I have a nexus 7, never put a screen protector on it and glad I didn't.

Anyway, so most of what I found online is not a single person reporting type cover scratching their surface screen so that's good.

I know what you mean, screen protectors just really take away from the whole experience. These manufacturers often put a lot of thought into the touch screen, optimizing the gestures and how smooth and fluid it all feels, to make the whole thing natural. Screen protectors just slaughter that.

So, for the sake of the Surface experience, I'll risk it. And I've not heard of any Touch or Type Covers scratching the screw,n I'm sure the folks at Redmond would've thought about that. Honestly, they've done entire videos on the sound of the kickstand and the Covers, and how they worked to make them just right. If they put that much effort into the sound of those, I'm sure they thought about the Covers scratching the screen.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Surface Pro with Type Cover since launch day. I carry it loose in my oversize messenger bag, toss it in my car, treat it much worse than I would treat a laptop and have had absolutely zero issues with it or the cover. I've knocked it off of a lighting console onto the ground twice, have banged the cover around and actually knocked it off several times and dropped a cream cheese bagel directly on the face of the tablet down and across the keys once, obviously cream cheese side first, and have had nary an issue. Absolutely love this machine.

That being said, I did buy the protection just in case :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Surface Pro with Type Cover since launch day. I carry it loose in my oversize messenger bag, toss it in my car, treat it much worse than I would treat a laptop and have had absolutely zero issues with it or the cover. I've knocked it off of a lighting console onto the ground twice, have banged the cover around and actually knocked it off several times and dropped a cream cheese bagel directly on the face of the tablet down and across the keys once, obviously cream cheese side first, and have had nary an issue. Absolutely love this machine.

That being said, I did buy the protection just in case :)

YOU'RE INSANE!!!

However, that does give me a bit more confidence about my upcoming Surface Pro 2 purchase, especially with my history of wrecking electronics (three broken Lumias...). I do recall during the announcement event, that Panos said they tried to destroy a Surface live on stage, but while practicing, they found the Surface too strong to destroy, so they had to settling with giving it to that lady in the audience.

I thought he was exaggerating, especially since I heard the Surface was one of the worst fairing amongst a series of gadgets being torture tested (of course, this was iCNET, so they likely exaggerated to ensure it didn't encroach upon their precious iPad), but you seem to be a living testament to the build quality of the Surface. I'll still treat mine with the utmost care, but your statement does offer some reassurance.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, this thing has proven to be bulletproof for me. It is my full-time laptop for work and my tablet for play. I do everything with this thing. In the beginning I handled it with kid gloves and then, in a fit of hurry one day, I just grabbed it and tossed it about as needed to get some things done; yanked it off my desk, snapped it closed, tossed it into the car seat, drove like a madman (making is get thrown to the floor by heavy braking), got it a little wet while it rained and I was driving with the top down, rushed through several meetings and then back home, and it ended up looking like nothing happened.

As I said, I've dropped it from desk height onto a hard floor a couple of times, spun around and hit the type cover with my arm or my bag and literally ripped the cover off a couple of times, and we don't even need to discuss the mess that cream cheese does to a touchscreen...ugh.

Love this thing...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, this thing has proven to be bulletproof for me. It is my full-time laptop for work and my tablet for play. I do everything with this thing. In the beginning I handled it with kid gloves and then, in a fit of hurry one day, I just grabbed it and tossed it about as needed to get some things done; yanked it off my desk, snapped it closed, tossed it into the car seat, drove like a madman (making is get thrown to the floor by heavy braking), got it a little wet while it rained and I was driving with the top down, rushed through several meetings and then back home, and it ended up looking like nothing happened.

As I said, I've dropped it from desk height onto a hard floor a couple of times, spun around and hit the type cover with my arm or my bag and literally ripped the cover off a couple of times, and we don't even need to discuss the mess that cream cheese does to a touchscreen...ugh.

Love this thing...

Ha ha, now when I go to my local Microsoft Store event, "Meet the Surface 2," I really need to ask Panos to do a live demonstration of the sledge hammer thing! xD

But again, glad to hear it's a tough little machine, hopefully it'll fare better than those poor three Nokias. May they rest in peace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon