Major problems with surface pro 2, unexpected shutdowns, sleep issues, unknown devicedevice manager

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I tried a commend that was suggested on the interwebs.. but it does nothing beside launching the calibration tools with the grid, and doesn't the apply the changes, you can even purposely botch the calibration and it will act like you did nothing... I don't know if I am missing something or what not.

Maybe you can look into it.. it could also be not working for me, as my digitizer is faulty.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll tinker more with it tomorrow. Apparently a good deal of the inaccuracy may be due to the Wintab drivers that I have indeed installed. Or so some people seem to think. Will try ditching them and recalibrating. And then maybe the 273 point thing.

Or actually it may take less time to wait and see what the Jan 14th update may bring, than to calibrate 273 points. :)

EDIT: Uninstalled the pressure sensitivity driver I had downloaded, which removed all pen drivers in the device. So I installed the pen hardware anew with Windows drivers, which was easy even to a Windows novice like me through the Device Manager. Reset calibration and it wasn't better or worse, only inaccurate in a different way. Maybe a bit worse.

Too much pen talk in this thread now probably, since there is a separate thread for that I see.

Last edited:

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a substantial number of instances where my SP2 will try to enter sleep or try to wake from sleep and instead it will whir its fans really hard (even when cold) and just crash/shut down. This happens, on average, 1-2 times per day.

Is this related to the faulty firmware or should I just think about obtaining a replacement? I feel like it IS related, because I have no memory of it happening at all, let alone with this frequency, prior to that firmware update. I'm hoping it gets fixed tomorrow, but if not, I'll probably ask for a replacement unit. It's really obnoxious and even though it doesn't take THAT long to boot up cold, it's still longer than it should be, plus I just can't stand improperly functioning technology...

THanks!

dave_456

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this exact same issues, occasionally on waking from sleep the fan whirs for a few second then the computer crashes.

You are not alone.

I am also waiting to see if the firmware update fixes it, if not I am immediately returning it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
They are reports that a new firmware is being released.. very slowly, in zones/areas/serial numbers...
If true, I think Microsoft wants to limit any further issue by wait and see reports. If all goes well, you should have the firmware soon.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's a good thing I can't even purchase a 256GB SP2 at the moment! :smile: Perhaps the longer it takes to purchase the more these issues will be addressed. If and when I am able to purchase the SP2, I hope it is clear which firmware updates should be done and which shouldn't be done. I would "assume" they will not make the faulty updates available....assume. I also hope I'm making the right decision on getting this product. This will primarily be my work computer, and can't be spending all my time waiting for my computer to wake up or reboot. Looking forward to hearing good news when these updates are released. I am actually grabbing bits and pieces of my setup when I see things available. I have the docking station on the way and heading over to Staples today to pick up the Type Cover 2 with their $10 off accessories coupon. Gonna be a bummer if I can't ever purchase the main part! LOL

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's a good thing I can't even purchase a 256GB SP2 at the moment! :smile: Perhaps the longer it takes to purchase the more these issues will be addressed. If and when I am able to purchase the SP2, I hope it is clear which firmware updates should be done and which shouldn't be done. I would "assume" they will not make the faulty updates available....assume. I also hope I'm making the right decision on getting this product. This will primarily be my work computer, and can't be spending all my time waiting for my computer to wake up or reboot. Looking forward to hearing good news when these updates are released. I am actually grabbing bits and pieces of my setup when I see things available. I have the docking station on the way and heading over to Staples today to pick up the Type Cover 2 with their $10 off accessories coupon. Gonna be a bummer if I can't ever purchase the main part! LOL
If you want.. don't update it... set Windows update to manual, and exclude firmware update (you can mark them as "hide" to now show, and avoid accidental click).
When you have an issue, you can try a firmware upgrade.

Peter T

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this exact same issues, occasionally on waking from sleep the fan whirs for a few second then the computer crashes.

You are not alone.

I am also waiting to see if the firmware update fixes it, if not I am immediately returning it.

I'm also having the same issue and unfortunately new firmware from 18 Jan did not fix it. Still experiencing unexpected shutdowns and Surface 2 Pro would not wake up from sleep. I'm sick of workarounds.

Peter T

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I ended up with replacing my Surface Pro 2 and have no more problems. And as a bonus - it has a new 4300 1.9 GHz processor. I'm very happy boy now.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Had a pro 2 since like march. suddenly has started just randomly restarting. no bsod, just turns off, and then on. typing away on word, or using the internet, doesn't matter. just suddenly restarts. nothing showing in the event viewer except device didn't turn off properly. Any ideas? windows reset hasn't fixed it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Had a pro 2 since like march. suddenly has started just randomly restarting. no bsod, just turns off, and then on. typing away on word, or using the internet, doesn't matter. just suddenly restarts. nothing showing in the event viewer except device didn't turn off properly. Any ideas? windows reset hasn't fixed it.
When it restarts, do you see Windows restarts, or the device just turns off on your immediately, and starts up?
Does the problem happen when the keyboard is NOT attached to the device?
Can you make sure that all ports of the device are clean?

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm had to do a reset on a 1 week old pro 2, bought it second hand, and when I got it, the guy didn't reset, still has his ugly face on the login screen!

None of this apply though.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

dashbarron

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Happens with or without keyboard. Just suddenly black then the spinning circles for windows loading. All ports are clean.

Urgh, SSK. I have to see you here and TR? I no longer feel safe.

But I was just thinking I should run the Windows updates on my Surface Pro 2, but I'm a little skittish now....

BreatheDaisy

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
what should we do for that unexpected shutdowns?
I have had 3 times today, I bought it less than a month ago,
and thinking of exchange or refund.

elee1

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have my surface pro 2 replace twice but I am still getting this unexpected shutdown. Is there a way I can get a replace to the surface pro 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon