What x86 legacy apps made you buy the pro2

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What x86 legacy apps made you buy the pro2?

For me, it's for the general ability and I am using it as I go along. I have downloaded some media/music programs to replace the terrible xbox music (using media monkey at the moment). Also downloaded Steam so I can get portal 2 on the device just to have it. Going to put a game on it just because I can not because I'll actually ever use it. I want GTA 5 but it's not on PC from what I can tell lol.

What apps are you using?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
  • Cubase SX2, upgrading to Cubase 7 in the next month or so
  • FL5
  • Wavelab
  • Photoshop (old ver)

Thats all i've got installed for now, planning to add a few more in the coming months

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use a lot of old school telecommunications software for work, that's only runs on regular windows. I downloaded Steam for Half Life 2 episode 2, Path of Exile, and Metro 2033.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
When I get my Pro 2, I'll be getting it mainly for Visual studio and FL Studio. The fact that its so portable and powerful is just perfect for me.

Pinchscape

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I use it for Visual Studio 2013, Expression Blend, Adobe Illustrator, SQL Server 2012 & Management Studio, Linqpad.

I live windows RT but cant see those products on RT anytime soon :S

petripiirainen

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have first gen Surface Pro (128 + 64 GB sdcard) here are those apps why I need x86 support for my tablet.

I have used tablet PCs since 2004 (Acer C110, Acer W500. I have also 1st gen iPad but I needed x86 tablet )

Onenote 2013
I am addicted to OneNote and active stylus. Main reason for Surface Pro was Wacom stylus because there really aren't any good active digitizer options for arm tablets.

Sumatra PDF - Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF
The best pdf reader on any platform, especially if you need to use tablet for math, programming and science pdf-ebooks. Sumatra PDF has also support for touch screens (tap with two fingers for fullscreen view, swipe to change pages). I think that Sumatra has the best rendering for pdf pages, Metro pdf apps makes too blurry text and I don't want to ever install Acrobat reader to any machine.

Mozilla Thunderbird - Mozilla Thunderbird
I use imap emails and Thunderbird works nicely with touchscreen and has excellent HiDpi support. I have mapped thunderbird profiles to sd-card with mklink command.

VMware Workstation 10.0 - VMware Workstation: Run Multiple OS, Linux, Windows 8 & More; | United States
Vmware has nice touch support for windows 8.1 and all my development tools are inside virtual machines. Actually I use bluestacks emulator inside 8.1 VMware virtual machine :) Also I run matlab inside virtual machine.

Adobe Fireworks - Web graphics, mobile design, prototyping | Adobe Fireworks CS6
For GUI design stuff with Wacom

SublimeText 3 - Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with
3 version has support for HiDPI screens and it works quite nice with touchscreen / touch keyboard

well.. and of course I use our own x86 applications ;)
PhotoEQ - Fix Photo Problems Automatically - PhotoEQ is a smart and automatic application for photo enhancement, editing and color management.
Automata - Professional Batch Image Enhancer with Hot Folder Workflows

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Definitely Steam for me. I have lots of games built up over the years from the Humble Bundles and the different sales that Steam has. Some of the simpler, lower end games work great on the Surface Pro 2, especially after plugging in a Xbox 360 controller. I wish more games were touch optimized like Civilization 5, it has a special Windows 8 mode that lets you run the game without any external input.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
2 things for the surface 1

#1 the pen for one note
#2 because at the time Outlook 13 wasn't available for Windows rt

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Exchange Management Console
Hyper-V Manager
SQL Server Management Studio
Putty Connection Manager
Terminals
Spark
Notepad++
Photoshop
SharePoint Designer
Input Director

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Steam, PhotoShop, Minecraft, iTunes (shaddup), airport utility.

I use iTunes to buy all my music and to manage it as well. I find it to be the best program plus it is cross platform from Windows to Mac

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Xbox music is still a mess.

While I have all my music on iTunes, I actually found myself playing with Xbox Music a lot lately because of SP2. The commercials (same ones over and over) are annoying, but I actually like the interface more when it comes to finding new artists, reading the bios, etc.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Because I'm a grumpy old guy and want a real OS not these toy tablet OSes the kids love these days.

• Visual Studio 2013
  • Corel Painter
  • Sketchbook Pro
  • Cisco VPN stuff for work access
  • Steam (+1 for Civ 5)
  • Ability to run other browsers
  • Various photo-processing tools

Out of the above it's primary for the art stuff. If an RT Surface could be had with a Wacom stylus and a pro level piece of art software I would go with that.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone planning on buying Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 for Adobe CS applications such as Photoshop better enjoy squinting or hitting the Windows magnifier utility a lot. A year later and while Lightroom has had its menus scaled to be readable, Photoshop and Illustrator still have laughably microscopic toolbar icons. If you figure Apple's retina displays have been out even longer and they still have the same problem, Adobe is laughably behind at this point. Yes, the issue is platform agnostic - it is related to old assumptions on the part of Adobe regarding optimal screen size of 1366 X 768 which are in its universal coding. BTW, Photoshop, in my experience, is still only minimally pen friendly and Lightroom is downright clumsy - takes multiple steps with pen and keyboard to do what can be done with a right click of a mouse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes