specs upgraded for surface pro 2 from i5 4200u to 4300

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
If I was you I would buy the surface pro from last year and instead of 125gb get the 256gb... You will also save some money.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No, don't buy the old Surface Pro, unless you'll be plugged in all the time. The battery life is terrible of the old one. The Pro 2 is acceptable.
The performance different is marginal... its only 300MHz using the same CPU architecture, and Intel GPU.
The newer model is most likely die that Intel discontinued the current Surface Pro 2 CPU, as the 4300 cost the same, has the same power consumption, and heat produced.... so there are no reason for the 4200 anymore.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to buy surface pro as it has terrible battery life, as im planning to use my SP2 for note taking in my classroom im a medical student in India, im planning to use it for long period like 3-4 years, so does this upgraded spec cpu will it be use full ? If it is then how to get it? Does it has any differently packed?

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
No, don't buy the old Surface Pro, unless you'll be plugged in all the time. The battery life is terrible of the old one. The Pro 2 is acceptable.
The performance different is marginal... its only 300MHz using the same CPU architecture, and Intel GPU.
The newer model is most likely die that Intel discontinued the current Surface Pro 2 CPU, as the 4300 cost the same, has the same power consumption, and heat produced.... so there are no reason for the 4200 anymore.

if i get surface pro 2 from Microsoft center, will it be the new one? Please answer as im leaving to India with in 1week.��

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
After some testing, the CPU is locked at 2.5 or 2.6GHz.. it won't go up to 2.9GHz. So it is official.... 0 difference.
There is nothing to identify it.
We don't know for sure, if Microsoft is using both CPUs to meet demand or switch to the faster one.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
After some testing, the CPU is locked at 2.5 or 2.6GHz.. it won't go up to 2.9GHz. So it is official.... 0 difference.
There is nothing to identify it.
We don't know for sure, if Microsoft is using both CPUs to meet demand or switch to the faster one.
Thank you for the reply then I should get one from Microsoft center, I am getting 128gb storage SP2 and touch cover 2,
Should I get type cover 2? As I don't type a lot, rarely I may use it for some power point that's it, and is it possible to turn off the touch cover 2 key sounds?:confused:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know.... The keyboard is sold out everywhere... I wanted to get the TypeCover 2, because I type a lot.. but sold out everywhere.
Apparently, the Touch Cover 2 is better than the first. Never tried it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I installed the latest firmware... and it still locked at 2.6GHz... but only when I do a Windows Update check, I have Intel Turbo boost monitor, showing that it does reach at 2.8GHz.... so I guess it can reach it... but under very specific condition(s).

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I installed the latest firmware... and it still locked at 2.6GHz... but only when I do a Windows Update check, I have Intel Turbo boost monitor, showing that it does reach at 2.8GHz.... so I guess it can reach it... but under very specific condition(s).

thank you for the reply im getting SP2 this Sunday.should i check for firmware updates in windows update or any specific way for checking firmware updates?
how can i copy recovery partition from SP2 to my 1Tb external HDD please help?

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

where did you bought your SP2? Microsoft center or any other retail store?
and when did you bought it specify the date please?
thank you..

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh to add, I can reach 2.8GHz but not all the time, and not continuous, when the Surface Pro is set to High Performance. The fan does kick-in, and you'll hear it under such condition.
So I guess it seams to be possible, just not something to expect to have in a continuous mode... just burst off.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall how exactly, but I know that Disk Manager allows you to clone a partition to another partition. So you can make a partition in your 1TB drive, and clone the Surface Pro 2 one to it.
You can also try this free (for personal usage only): Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download software.

I used it, seams to work well, it's easy to use. Now, I have not tried recovering it. So I hope this works.
It was suggested by Microsoft's Channel9's The Defrag Show, so I guess it should do a good job.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm getting ready to buy a Pro 2... How do you know, from the outside of the box, if it's the faster processor?

Jdane07

May 9, 2013
Visit site
So I have a replacement order that's yet to ship coming out to me. I have a few dead pixels on the screen that drive me crazy, so I decided to give a replacement a shot.
Any chance I'll receive a device with the upgraded processor?

Jdane07

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, the way I'm looking at this is that I loved the device before any of this news broke. So if my replacement comes and it's the same processor, I'll still be happy. This thing does more than I could have imagined.. Like playing skyrim pretty damn well for instance.

Anyways, it would be nice to get the 4300u, but it's no deal breaker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas