connected standby

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Do Surface Pro2 has connected standby?? Like Ipad and Android tablets?
If not is it due to hardware restriction or due to Windows 8.1 restrictions?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No it does not.
But it wakes up almost instantly, and boots up in less than 4sec.

Windows 8.1 Supports Connected Standby, but the wireless card in the Surface Pro 2 (and 1) does not support this features.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
No it does not.
But it wakes up almost instantly, and boots up in less than 4sec.

Windows 8.1 Supports Connected Standby, but the wireless card in the Surface Pro 2 (and 1) does not support this features.

i have heard that 64bit Windows 8.1 doesn't support connected standby?is it true?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That is incorrect. And why would the 64-bit version of Windows not support it? If anything it would be the 32-bit version which is probably the last version of Windows to have a 32-bit version. That is if anything. The reality, both versions of Windows supports it. Including Windows 8 RT.

Connected Standby (Preliminary)

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
That is incorrect. And why would the 64-bit version of Windows not support it? If anything it would be the 32-bit version which is probably the last version of Windows to have a 32-bit version. That is if anything. The reality, both versions of Windows supports it. Including Windows 8 RT.

Connected Standby (Preliminary)

ok but i heard it some where that windows 8.1 64bit version does not support it,that's the reason baytrail processor is a 64bit processor but they are releasing it with 32bit windows because of no connected standby.i heard it some where..

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've heard that about 64-bit Windows many times before, but I don't actually think it's true. The Vaio Duo supports Connected Standby despite being 64-bit.

The biggest problem for it on the Surface Pro is you need a TPM2.0 for it, and the Pro and Pro 2 have a TPM 1.2.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've heard that about 64-bit Windows many times before, but I don't actually think it's true. The Vaio Duo supports Connected Standby despite being 64-bit.

The biggest problem for it on the Surface Pro is you need a TPM2.0 for it, and the Pro and Pro 2 have a TPM 1.2.

The Sony is the exception rather than the rule and that's because they are probably implementing their own solution. First time I've heard of the TPM requirement as well, but all evidence I've come across says its on Microsoft to add support for 64 bit CS to Windows for it to work.

Another article from anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/show/6340/intel-details-atom-z2760-clovertrail-for-windows-8-tablets

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The Sony is the exception rather than the rule and that's because they are probably implementing their own solution. First time I've heard of the TPM requirement as well, but all evidence I've come across says its on Microsoft to add support for 64 bit CS to Windows for it to work.

Another article from anandtech AnandTech | Intel Details Atom Z2760: Clovertrail for Windows 8 Tablets

Anandtech is definitely one of the places I've heard that from, and it could very well be true. That being said, from everything I've looked into, there is nothing about it being x86-only in the Microsoft Hardware Certification Requirements. In fact there are several mentions of features that are required for Connected Standby that are for x86, ARM, and x64 devices. If it's x64 only, I'd expect there to actually be concrete information on that somewhere within Microsoft's own documents.

As for the TPM 2.0 thing, it's on page 205 of the aforementioned document.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Anandtech is definitely one of the places I've heard that from, and it could very well be true. That being said, from everything I've looked into, there is nothing about it being x86-only in the Microsoft Hardware Certification Requirements. In fact there are several mentions of features that are required for Connected Standby that are for x86, ARM, and x64 devices. If it's x64 only, I'd expect there to actually be concrete information on that somewhere within Microsoft's own documents.

As for the TPM 2.0 thing, it's on page 205 of the aforementioned document.

You may actually be right, I just checked Ultrabooknews which has posted a lot of info on CS and they have this

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGzofEMgxGi6mjMcLO4AQtE4RNumA

And this

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEhDni6SONZFBl9q8hmprhzC_XjNQ

which seems to confirm what you say. These are all 64 bit systems and the expectation seems to be that CS would be supported in these Ultrabooks so one has to wonder what if anything changed since so few were released that support CS and why Bay Trail devices with 64 bit support are not here yet. As I posted earlier the standard explanation seems to have been that support is not present in 64 bit Windows but it clearly is present. Cant really explain what the delay is considering all the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes