Does surface pro (2017) have fast charging?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by fast charging, if you meant Qualcomm Quick Charge for mobile devices, then no. In terms of charging time I haven't really read about it in reviews, but I'd assume it would charge about the same as SP3 which is relatively quick compared to other laptops I've owned

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I figure it would probably be the same as the Pro 4 which is quite speedy all things considered. But if you're talking about Qualcomm Quick Charge or USB Type-C fast charging, then no.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Laptops don't have the quick charge feature like cell phones do they?
The "Quick Charge" technology is a Qualcomm brand, and Qualcomm is currently only in phones and sometimes tablets.

Laptops may very well charge quickly but that depends on the charger, battery, laptop itself, etc.

But you won't find the QC name anywhere, even if it did charge rather quickly.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
The "Quick Charge" technology is a Qualcomm brand, and Qualcomm is currently only in phones and sometimes tablets.

Laptops may very well charge quickly but that depends on the charger, battery, laptop itself, etc.

But you won't find the QC name anywhere, even if it did charge rather quickly.

Yeah I got that; How fast can a laptop charge though? I mean as you said, depends on the battery too. However, a standard 5 hour backup battery? Is there tech that can charge it up in 30 or so minutes?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got that; How fast can a laptop charge though? I mean as you said, depends on the battery too. However, a standard 5 hour backup battery? Is there tech that can charge it up in 30 or so minutes?

I'm not sure there is a standard measure of that, even in reviews.

There's so many factors you're going to want to go to someone who owns the device, especially since there is no standard "5 hour battery" size.

ex. My ThinkPad Yoga had a 40-50-ish watt-hour battery and gets 4-5 hours of battery life. It has more efficient stuff under-the-hood and a smaller display too.

My current T430 has just over 60 watt-hours and gets 2.5-3.5 hours.

I used a 60 watt charger with the Yoga, a 90 watt charger with the T430, both charge rather quickly to me but definitely not 100% in 30 minutes.

If you need a fast turnaround time, I would consider a laptop with a hot-swappable battery so you can switch in spare batteries as you need.

2in1Fan

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
HP's new spectre x2 is supposed to have some sort of fast charge I think. Only to 50% battery though (in 30 min) and then after that it goes back to regular charging.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There are devices and laptops with "fast charging technology" but they rarely have branding and it's never Qualcomm's. If you need a laptop with fast charging you're looking for a modern Kaby Lake laptop with a USB Type-C 3.1 Thunderbolt charging port.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I think the review on this website discussed charging, takes about 2 hours to fully charge, similar to my Surface Pro 3 which always felt fast. Old laptops took hours to charge.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How long will the battery last till until you need to replace it?
It can vary depending on a lot of factors but probably a couple to several years.

However once the battery wears out, there is no replacing it on a Surface. They're almost designed to be disposable computers, despite their cost and quality.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Still using two first gen surface pro devices. Can stil get 3 hours and 55 minutes out of my battery in battery save mode at 84% (yes it can charge to 100%) after 5 years with windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon