i5 or m3 processor?

htc fan89

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
hey, guys

I'm going be using it for taking notes, maybe a bit of matlab simulink and some java coding. so, would m3 processor be enough or should i spend extra and get the i5. I'm also going get the 4gb version if I go with i5. Let me know, I already have macbook pro 2016 for my main device and for heavy stuff got a gaming pc.

IuliaGz

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
if the energy power is an issue then, maybe u should go for the m3. otherwise go for the i5 as it is more powerful

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
if you're sure the MBP will be the main machine, then go with the M3. but you may find yourself drifting over to the Surface Pro because it just does so much more and in a smaller package with a better processor and screen. and the battery life is fantastic now. and you may regret the M3/4GB purchase.

htc fan89

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
if you're sure the MBP will be the main machine, then go with the M3. but you may find yourself drifting over to the Surface Pro because it just does so much more and in a smaller package with a better processor and screen. and the battery life is fantastic now. and you may regret the M3/4GB purchase.
Too small of screen to replace my Mac , tried surface book before I bought my Mac and I didn't like it as my main laptop. So that's why thinking of using it as an secondary
if the energy power is an issue then, maybe u should go for the m3. otherwise go for the i5 as it is more powerful
I thought battery life between wasn't that much off.

This is such a hard decision to make which to pick, also you guys think 4 gb ram would be enough for those tasks. Like I wouldn't have 8 chrome tabs open and running Matlab in the background.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"taking notes, maybe a bit of matlab simulink and some java coding."

Due to Superfetch your ram will be used quite a lot. In all honesty, when you come to sell your device, which you will, the 8Gb model will fetch a better price than the 4Gb unit. 8Gb ALL DAY LONG.

Other than that you could just read reviews and make up your own mind.

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I got the i5 4 GB. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it to Ma once it gets outdated and Surface 7 is out. So, no selling price problem here. Also, the price difference between 4/8 GB is mad in Europe.

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
So I have a Pro 4 m3 and my immediate comments are.

BAD
Takes ages (hours) to install OS when moving from insider build back to prod ( for example). Normal I installation from store is ok. It's not the SSD as this rate faster than my desktop. Maybe just Windows?
WiFi is very slow. Seems to be a bug.
Forget 3D games. I tried Recore and it ran like a dog on low settings. This is a fairly demanding game though. 2D games appear to run fine.

Apart from that, it's got a really nice screen, keyboard is nice, battery appears ok. Just installed last firmware which may help with WiFi above.

htc fan89

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I'm leaning towards i5/8gb 256gb version now, plus if I ever decide on using it as a main laptop it would handle almost everything that my Mac does. Now just gotta justify spending 1169 ,since I spend almost 2 grand on my Mac last year hahahaha

iThunderbirt

VR Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Been looking up about the Surface Pro myself lately and was wondering the same. Thanks to all the replies in this form I believe I would also consider an i5 model as you are looking at @htc fan89.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will be keeping an eye on this post and the forums for more input before making a move.

CrippsCorner

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I got the i5 4 GB. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it to Ma once it gets outdated and Surface 7 is out. So, no selling price problem here. Also, the price difference between 4/8 GB is mad in Europe.

Yeah I really wanted the 8Gb version but for what I do I just couldn't justify spending over £1,000!

Especially when my original Surface Pro, also i5 4Gb, was still working perfectly (that one's heading over to my mum now)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas