Coffeelake and Cannonlake

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
So with the recent leaks regarding Coffeelake processors and what not, anybody else considering returning their surface to wait for a Coffeelake model? It seems that there will be a very sizable jump in computing power and I would imagine the integrated graphics may get a good boost as well.

That doesn't even touch upon Cannonlake which I can only imagine being even more powerful than Coffeelake in both single and multicore benchmarks.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the computer industry where you're device today will be the bottom of the bucket tomorrow! All you have to ask yourself is if your Surface is able to do all the tasks you want it to do today, because if you keep looking towards tomorrow, well; then you'll never be happy.

Something better is always looming around the corner.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My fav was the seemingly micro-second delay between the 5700HQ and 6700hq on gaming laptops. Anyone that bought a 5700 might have felt pretty damn annoyed but, of course, the same could be said for the 6700 to 7700hq.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
So with the recent leaks regarding Coffeelake processors and what not, anybody else considering returning their surface to wait for a Coffeelake model?

No. The Surfaces I have bought in the last year were purchased based on their ability to provide somewhat more than the capacity I needed for efficient handling of the projected demands. Maximum capacity is irrelevant in this standard of evaluation.

Too much is always enough, but higher levels of too-muchness won't get you anything immediately useful for the extra money you will pay.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So with the recent leaks regarding Coffeelake processors and what not, anybody else considering returning their surface to wait for a Coffeelake model? It seems that there will be a very sizable jump in computing power and I would imagine the integrated graphics may get a good boost as well.

That doesn't even touch upon Cannonlake which I can only imagine being even more powerful than Coffeelake in both single and multicore benchmarks.

I dont expect MS to be first in line to launch the devices with new processors, remember how late MS refreshed the surface pro.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft was the first vendor to use Skylake at high volume and they had to suffer the growing pains of a new processor, releasing so many patches to address things like power management. No wonder Apple skipped Skylake. I think Microsoft learned from the pains of trying to be at the forefront.

I love my Surface Pro 4 but the new Surface Pro is so much better in terms of battery life and performance. Kaby Lake fixed a lot of problems with Skylake.

I'm sure the new processors from Intel are going to be better. That's the advancement of tech. But living on the bleeding edge has problems. Let the early adopters live with all the patches. Give us a Surface Pro 5 that doesn't have the headaches of dealing with new motherboard chipsets and CPUs/GPUs.

y-ish

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
MS don't refresh model to often SP3 - SP4 was 16 months, SP4 - nSP was 20 months. Are you going to return and sit around with your fingers crossed for a new(er) model to appear?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon