Orders for the SP3 can ship as late as August 31st!!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on the pre-ordering site on the Microsoft Store. ALL the models but the i5 models won't ship until August 31st! I really hope this will change, as I don't want to wait that long.

What do you guys think? Do you think they will change it? Because, it isn't like many have ordered it already, for it to be pushed back that far...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
are you trying to get an i3? That's the main reason why I am waiting, but after doing some research.. I don't think i3 and me are compatible. I need more power.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Most manufactures usually put a buffer in their lead times. Although my experience with pre-orders and Microsoft would tend to disagree with that practice, as they've been known for additional delays. Honestly anything that far in the future is probably not worth pre-ordering. By then you could be looking at new competing products, or heck, even an update with Broadwell soon after.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if maybe they'll ship it earlier, and just have that date now. When I ordered my 256GB SP2, it said I would receive it October 29th, but I got it release day. But that was like a week difference, versus a two month difference...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It releases June 20th for the standard i5 models and then July 20th for the other models
"Releases" and "ships to anywhere not in the US, and with an added price hike" are two different things... End August is the date posted for anyone in the rest of the world.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is why I'm not bothering to pre-order. I'm going to wait until the devices are in the MS Store and available for immediate purchase.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Thailand have August as there available date of purchase. Home laptop just packed it in this morning so not sure I can wait that long though.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Most manufactures usually put a buffer in their lead times. Although my experience with pre-orders and Microsoft would tend to disagree with that practice, as they've been known for additional delays. Honestly anything that far in the future is probably not worth pre-ordering. By then you could be looking at new competing products, or heck, even an update with Broadwell soon after.

I agree.. I don't see the point in a pre-order that far out. I will get the i7... How far is that speculated for shipment?

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
...even an update with Broadwell soon after.

The timeframe for the delay in pre-orders makes me wonder if this is not already the case... it aligns with what Intel recently said, that they would like to get Broadwell products ready before back-to-school season, but that it was just out of reach and that they would have to lean on holiday season demand.

But August 31st is right in between back-to-school and holiday seasons, so I wouldn't be surprised if the i7 model launches just before the refresh... again. If that is the case, since August 31st is so far out as it is, just work with Intel to get the new chip in there before releasing it. What's another month or two if you can launch with the latest and greatest? As a consumer I will gladly wait for this information to become clear because the is quite a bit of money to drop on technology that ages so quickly.

My mind is made up, I will wait for the Broadwell version and just will not get a SP3 if they don't include it.

Would it be Haswell-E otherwise?

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The timeframe for the delay in pre-orders makes me wonder if this is not already the case... it aligns with what Intel recently said, that they would like to get Broadwell products ready before back-to-school season, but that it was just out of reach and that they would have to lean on holiday season demand.

But August 31st is right in between back-to-school and holiday seasons, so I wouldn't be surprised if the i7 model launches just before the refresh... again. If that is the case, since August 31st is so far out as it is, just work with Intel to get the new chip in there before releasing it. What's another month or two if you can launch with the latest and greatest? As a consumer I will gladly wait for this information to become clear because the is quite a bit of money to drop on technology that ages so quickly.

My mind is made up, I will wait for the Broadwell version and just will not get a SP3 if they don't include it.

You know, I was thinking the same thing recently. There is really no reason for the i7 to be so far out in the future, unless it is in fact that ever elusive broadwell. In either case, I too had decided to wait (even for the i5), as I didn't really see a benefit to pre-ordering yet.

But don't get me wrong, I still really want one. But I'm will to wait for actual availability, and especially the next gen proc.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Maybe?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It says "BY" August 31st, the operative word being by. I'm hoping they're employing a Dell-like strategy of providing a worst case scenario date to a) cover themselves b)avoid rabid consumers who don't receive their product by the date they were told.

I've ordered two devices from Dell and both had ridiculous dates (my alienware was scheduled over a month from the date of sale), and received both well ahead of the estimated ship date.

Now I realize these are different situations because Dell's issue is assembling customized builds, but the reasoning behind a "padded" ship date are the same. Admit it, if they told you its estimated ship date was June 1st and they shipped it June 8th you'd apply for a job at Apple.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Did a live chat with an MS store sales rep and what I got was that it's "very possible" that I'd get mine "sooner than aug 31st since you pre-ordered this early and it'll be first come first served".

Not much I know but I just needed the comfort of being told what I wanted to hear :grin:

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
These will not sell out, so there is no point in 'reordering.
I'll be holding onto my SP2 at least until November and get my SP3 off eBay for a huge savings.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Did a live chat with an MS store sales rep and what I got was that it's "very possible" that I'd get mine "sooner than aug 31st since you pre-ordered this early and it'll be first come first served".

Not much I know but I just needed the comfort of being told what I wanted to hear :grin:

I hope by the time the i7 models ship, it will be the broadwell chips...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes