Hard decision... But I think I am passing on the Pro3

dawnbudgie1306

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Very happy with my SP3 - was worried at first because, yes it is pricey, but they seem to have got it right with this one! Runs smoothly and has replaced my laptop and iPad for the most part. I use it at work to keep track of menus and schedules, so it really has came in handy.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Months later... update...

I did sell the xps 13 a couple months ago to a client. I just knew that would be a good excuse to buy a surface pro 3 for an upcoming conference... but I did not and took my venue pro 8. That "thang" worked beautifully.

Well... I receive my surface pro 3 tomorrow. The office bought it for me... It was still hard to decide on... but I did not want another laptop... I needed a light weight device with power. I also ordered a docking station, screen protector, keyboard, a free sleeve, and a few other items to keep the desk tidy. I will be using/trying the surface pro 3 as my main office production machine... And take it home mostly every night... Rather than dock it in my home office, I will connect a usb3.0 gigabit Ethernet adaptor and remote desktop to access it.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Another syndrome....... 'wait until the next one'. The SP4, SP5... will also have 'new product' bugs and hardware issues - guaranteed!

Time just now is a good time to buy a SP3. It's had a few hardware mods to cure issues and factories have had time to iron out a lot of quality issues. No matter how good a design is, or production techniques are, there will always be problems with new hardware.

It's personal preference as to which you prefer - new hardware (with it's problems), or older hardware that has 'matured'.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm in a different situation, where I don't own a surface, so I'm looking at all the benefits without seeing any other device competing functionality wise. Looks like though you got one after some period of time. Good luck with it :)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a different situation, where I don't own a surface, so I'm looking at all the benefits without seeing any other device competing functionality wise. Looks like though you got one after some period of time. Good luck with it :)

Yeah. I mean I have only had it a day... Still have to set it up... After having so many surface rt and other tablets... This is really more a light weight laptop for me... It will not be my go to device at all... can't wait to draw on it though.

My surface pro 3 is 80-90% work... But for the portability and function it just can't be beat... I almost got another xps13/15 on the standard latitude... But I need light weight and the tablet functionality when best. Got the dock set up and the screen protector on. I bought the one from Microsoft which is glass... Never had a screw protector like it... But I like it. Feels great.

Took me some time, but I think this may be the longest surface relationship I have... Unless I pass it down to another coworker one day, it is going to be my standard.

markusbeutel

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Was in a similar boat like you, only I bought the SP3 months ago - have had nothing but hardware issues with it since (yellow banding / overheating / typecover not responding / etc). Ended up returning it and went with the Dell Venue 11 Pro - now THAT is a nice machine. Got the just released Core M version that's fanless, and Dell didn't muck it up like Lenovo with the Yoga 3 Pro. Was $799 from Dell plus $100 for the keyboard off Ebay. If you've ever not happy with the SP3, I'd highly recommend the Venue 11 - best of all, it has a battery in the keyboard and I get 12 hours on max brightness, including heavy browsing/Office/videos.

That being said, I'll have my eye on the SP4 and could see myself buying that when it comes out, as I really enjoyed the 3:2 aspect ratio.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, read your earlier post about the Dell stylus - I had the 002 revision at first, and it was awful, but they've since released a new version (the bottom is black and the top of it is silver), and it works just as good as the SP3 stylus. Main difference is that the nub on it is plastic and doesn't wear down like the SP3 stylus, although it's more audible when you tap on the screen with it.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Was in a similar boat like you, only I bought the SP3 months ago - have had nothing but hardware issues with it since (yellow banding / overheating / typecover not responding / etc). Ended up returning it and went with the Dell Venue 11 Pro - now THAT is a nice machine. Got the just released Core M version that's fanless, and Dell didn't muck it up like Lenovo with the Yoga 3 Pro. Was $799 from Dell plus $100 for the keyboard off Ebay. If you've ever not happy with the SP3, I'd highly recommend the Venue 11 - best of all, it has a battery in the keyboard and I get 12 hours on max brightness, including heavy browsing/Office/videos.

That being said, I'll have my eye on the SP4 and could see myself buying that when it comes out, as I really enjoyed the 3:2 aspect ratio.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, read your earlier post about the Dell stylus - I had the 002 revision at first, and it was awful, but they've since released a new version (the bottom is black and the top of it is silver), and it works just as good as the SP3 stylus. Main difference is that the nub on it is plastic and doesn't wear down like the SP3 stylus, although it's more audible when you tap on the screen with it.

Yeah, my girlfriend has a dell venue pro 11. Love that guy... Her had to go in for service ans will be back tomorrow... Screen died... It was a first Gen.

So far I like the sp3... But touch functionality seems unresponsive at times... Debating on swapping it at the ms store... But doing all the updates first to see what's up...

Our dell rep told to do a warranty support on the pens to get a new ones. Thanks for your feedback on the sp3...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's great that your company got one for you.

I almost picked one up, but decided to wait for the SP4. I'm a digital artist and I know that there are still some small driver issues. I'd also like the ability to remap all the buttons.

I also do have a SP1 that's still working fine for me, so getting another gadget is really just me giving in to an addiction. lol

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Contemplated an SP3 for quite some time but held off my GAS, then my company decided to replace my XPS12 with an SP3 8GB/512GB/i7 with docking station. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but it's been working well with my 3 monitor setup (4 with SP3), however my XPS outperforms it which is also an i7 with 8GB. I travel for work quite a bit and for me the lighter the better so no complaints.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
For me, the main reason for getting SP3 is the 12" screen, compared to 10" of SP1/SP2. It's really a big difference. Working on a 12" screen is far more comfortable than a 10" screen.

Much like the transition from iPhone 5s to iPhone 6. It's a big change indeed.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
For me, the main reason for getting SP3 is the 12" screen, compared to 10" of SP1/SP2. It's really a big difference. Working on a 12" screen is far more comfortable than a 10" screen.

Much like the transition from iPhone 5s to iPhone 6. It's a big change indeed.

Agreed. As an Ex long time Macbook Pro user, my interim move back to Windows was an Asus T100 - 10" screen. Neat little device, but screen just too small and little storage. The SP3 screen is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes