Inking in Word

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I often use the inking feature in Word 2010 on my SP3 to mark-up documents. I really love how with the OneNote and PDF Reader apps the SP3 can distinguish between touch and pen. This is not the case with Word 2010. I've been a little frustrated with how to stop inking once I start, though, so I can then use touch input to scroll, etc. In the Pens tab, there is no stop inking button like there used to be in previous versions of Word. There is a select objects button that will stop inking, but I can't immediately start scrolling after tapping it because any swiping on the screen just selects stuff. If I select something, say by double tapping a word, and then tap elsewhere, then I can get back to where I can scroll, but this is kind of a pain. Pressing the Esc key will stop inking and allow scrolling, but when I'm inking I often don't have the keyboard attached. Also, I can go into the File tab and then back to Home or Pens or whatever other tab and I will be out of inking mode. All of these are a pain. Here is what I did to make life a little easier. I thought I'd share for anyone else that might be having a similar issue.

I created a macro for pressing "Esc" using Microsoft's instructions here: Create or run a macro - Word
I made the macro as a button rather than keyboard shortcut.

Then I right clicked the ribbon to customize, created a new group in the Pens tab (under Tool Tabs--Ink Tools), and added my macro button to the new group. Here is a picture of the result:
11v32vn.png

Now, I can tap Stop Inking and immediately begin scrolling without needing to bring up a virtual keyboard, have the physical keyboard attached, or go through the "Select Objects" nonsense. It works great! Now if I could only get the side buttons on the pen to erase and right-click in Word 2010 the way I think they should work...

Has anyone else had an issue with Inking in an older version of Word (or a newer one)? How did you address it?

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Word 2013, so I couldn't say. Screenshots I've seen of it look fairly similar to Word 2010, so the above fix may potentially apply to Word 2013 as well?

Office 2013 has "stop inking" buttons built in to the Pens tab. In word, it's right of the highlighter selections.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes