A Simple Solution for MS to Improve Lap Usage for the SP3?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There are a few things preventing me from buying the SP3 to use like a laptop that MS tries to promote. One of the big ones is lap usage. I don't put my laptop on my lap very much, mainly when I am taking public transportation, but it can be important when you need it. But I thought of something after seeing some iPad keyboards. Why doesn't MS make a keyboard that protrudes out a few inches? Then the kickstand can rest on it, creating a triangle on the back like many iPad keyboards. It can then just fold over and be part of the cover when not in use, maybe even make it magnetic so it sticks to the back of the surface. It'll add stability for lap usage and will address those who complain the kickstand digs into their lap.

Now if only MS can add at least one more USB port and have a better trackpad, then I could see using this device as a travel laptop. Maybe SP4 with smaller USB 3.1 ports can fit more.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It'll add stability for lap usage and will address those who complain the kickstand digs into their lap..

People actually complain about the kickstand digging into their lap? Oh the pain! I imagine the same kind of people complain about the surface being too heavy.... - Adam

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Not worth the bother since actual usage in the lap is pretty rare for most people. I personally have NEVER used a laptop or my SP3 in my lap.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten very proficient at using my SP3 on my lap in various locations. It's taken a bit of experimenting but now I don't even think twice about it.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
The SP3 is very light. Not had any problems with 'lapability' and that's how I use it 90% of the time. The weight on the kickstand is certainly not heavy enough to dig into ones lap. I own a 15" Macbook Pro and I can't use it on my lap (without a X-Pad) - it gets too hot.

Have you tried a SP3 on your lap?

Pablo Sormi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I use my SP3 daily on my lap.
The only problem is when i try to lay it on my one knee it gets shaky, but using it on two legs its darn stable, light and "cold".
The keyboard is ok, never had problems to type or use mousepad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa