Securing your SP3

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So the one thing I noticed about the SP3, since I just got mine 2 days ago, is that it doesn't have a Kensington-type lock slot on it. I'm a little upset by this, but not a deal-breaker to return it. I am a sports photographer, and will be taking this on-site for photo editing, so I'll be very nervous about leaving it in the press box or media room of places I go to.

Is there anything out there that I can use to secure it?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I read that the docking station has a Kingston lock, however it won't prevent someone from opening the docking station and removing the surface...

Unless you could somehow lock the docking station, making it to where it can't slide open and release the surface? Maybe by location or a second lock that just wraps around the docking station to prevent it from sliding open?

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I never investigated the docking station, not yet anyway... I'm still recovering from getting the Surface itself... lol... I did some searching, and the one thing that I've seen on a few sites is an adhesive square that sticks on the back of the Surface, or any generic tablet, then a cable with lock connects to that. not sure I want to do that, but it's an option...

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
According to PC world only the docking station has a Kensington lock, which is a bit stupid really :/
"...The dock also has a security lock slot, but because there's no way to physically lock the Surface tablet into the dock, it only manages to keep the dock itself from walking away and not the $1,300 tablet." PC World, 2015

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Wont help protect the SP3 from being stolen but will help with your chances of recovering it if you install "prey project" its an awesome program, i have it installed on all my gadgets - Adam

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
True...
Couldn't you also put really strong magnets on the back of the surface and on your hand, so it won't be able to get stolen...or dropped, might be a tad inconvenient though :/

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
According to PC world only the docking station has a Kensington lock, which is a bit stupid really :/
"...The dock also has a security lock slot, but because there's no way to physically lock the Surface tablet into the dock, it only manages to keep the dock itself from walking away and not the $1,300 tablet." PC World, 2015

Yikes!! Guess that's kinda counter-productive.. Luckily for now, I'll be using it at a college hockey arena, and when I shoot at different areas of the rink I can always see the press box. Maybe I'll tape an orange flag to it, like the ones you see on lawns after chemical treatments... lol...

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
True...
Couldn't you also put really strong magnets on the back of the surface and on your hand, so it won't be able to get stolen...or dropped, might be a tad inconvenient though :/

Problem is that I move around a lot in the places I shoot, and leave my gear at a seat in the press box, then I go up there either between periods or right after a goal is scored (I'm shooting hockey...) to upload pics to the computer and do quick edits to send off to the AD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon