I am the worst and most stupid person alive... cracked my 343 and Bungie signed SP3 screen....

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Title kind of says it all... I have a surface pro 3 signed by Bungie, 343, and Marty O'Donnell, which had an unfortunate accident this morning. Anyway, the screen is cracked, display is fine, but the touch panel is unresponsive. I know MS stores can "repair" them.. but that means just taking it and giving you a new one. Obviously, I cant do that as it is signed and giving it in means replacing the case.

So anyone who knows what my options here are?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as I see your options are

?get the surface replaced and let go of that signature
?somehow get a replacement ,and just hold on to the broken one with the signature for what its worth to you
?buy another surface pro 3 and keep the old one, if you can't get a replacement and keep the old one

That's pretty much it as far as I can tell... The Microsoft Surface Pro series since the very first one have been very hard (the pro 3 is nearly impossible according to ifixit) to repair...So your current surface will pretty much be nothing more than a souvenir from this point forward. You'll just have to get a new one and simply try to find a way to also keep the one you currently have with the signature on it

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, you could potentially replace the display since its already broken! Needs a lot of heat and picks though.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I just dropped mine too. Your options are limited as stated above. If the signature means that much, then you're just going to have to eat the cost and buy a new one.

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Surely there will be a company out there other than microsoft who can fix SP3s. I would get intouch and see if microsoft service centre can help you out anyway. Either way it wont be cheap but you might be able to keep your signatures - Adam

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to MSFT service center. They don't fix a cracked sceen. You pay the service fee or have coverage insurance, you send it in, and they will send you a replacement.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ouch :grincry:.

Yup your options are pretty limited... in order to keep the Surface pro 3 thin as possible they pretty much packed everything in along with a whole lot of glue. You could try replacing the screen... but you might end up doing more damage to the casing trying to open the darn thing.

All I can say for certain, is I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now....

Good luck with the repairs if you choose to go down that route or if you want to go and knock on Bungies door and have them sign another model :p.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much of all the possible options have already been given, but here's something you can try:
Since you've cracked your SP3, that makes your SP3 unique (by cracked, I'm thinking it's not shattered). Hold on to it and capitalize by walking your way along the path of becoming famous... to the level when people start paying for your signature. Once that happens, the value of your SP3 would be worth more than your signature alone - appraisers would be able to authenticate it to belong to you since no other SP3 in the world has those crack patterns and autographs. Now depending on when that happens, your SP3 would either be considered an antique or obsolete.:cool:

But on a serious note, you've got my empathy, man. Just hold on to your SP3 and use it less - don't want to lose or wipe off* those signatures in the long run. Keep it together with the priceless story it brings. Then either buy a new SP3 (perhaps with lower specs budget-wise) or wait for the next release.

*- I got two Jansport key chains personally signed by Skip Yowell. He used a permanent marker. Unfortunately, someone tried to test if the marker really was permanent and wiped off Skip's signature off the key chain, defiling the memorabilia and turning Skip's autograph into a worthless smudge of ink on this person's thumb. Now, how about that? Certainly sounds like someone needs more IQ somewhere.:wink:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Feel for you. You basically have a non-touchscreen secondary laptop now and will have to bite the bullet to get a new machine. Well, the SP4 is supposedly almost here!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes